Blown Trans?

Hey guys. So Im pretty sure I just blew my trans out. I turned onto a road leading to our office and got on it a little (around 3500) and it revved really high, the trans banged really hard and then I could just coast. Pulled into the office and tried to put it in gear and it grinds into R and when in neutral it sounds like something is spinning and trying to catch. Sounds like a blown trans to me but I hope its something else. Any input guys?? thanks in advance!

Hey guys. So Im pretty sure I just blew my trans out. I turned onto a road leading to our office and got on it a little (around 3500) and it revved really high, the trans banged really hard and then I could just coast. Pulled into the office and tried to put it in gear and it grinds into R and when in neutral it sounds like something is spinning and trying to catch. Sounds like a blown trans to me but I hope its something else. Any input guys?? thanks in advance!

sounds like input is what the trans is missing, prepare the wallet :(

How many miles do you have on your SS? With those bolt ons and low mileage you shouldn't have blown your trans.

Depending on what you want to do with it, if you want to keep everything mild/stock. Just stick with a Rebuilt GM 4L65E.

If you want the tranny to hold up a little longer, rebuild with some better gripping clutches, bands, billet shafts, shift kit, tranny pump, and new servos. And while you have it out I would throw a TC in there :D (you should see much better performance here as well)

If you don't want to deal with rebuilding it and plan on upgrading it, http://www.finishlinetrans.com/ makes some damn good transmissions!

Edited by Punisher (see edit history)

I have just about 118k miles. I really do not want to push any big HP at this point in time. I think I will just have it rebuilt. Maybe I will have a shift kit added while it's under the knife and beef it up a little more.

How much can I expect to pay for a quality rebuild?

Thanks for all of the info and quick replies everyone!

I have just about 118k miles. I really do not want to push any big HP at this point in time. I think I will just have it rebuilt. Maybe I will have a shift kit added while it's under the knife and beef it up a little more.

How much can I expect to pay for a quality rebuild?

Thanks for all of the info and quick replies everyone!

If you got 118k out of the original trans, you definitely got your money's worth. Figure a rebuild with quality parts by a reputable shop will range anywhere from $1500-2500 w/labor.........

Just went to a local shop and got a quote of 950-1550 depending on what he find when he drops the trans and has a look in it. The guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about and his shop has been there forever. He even had it towed there for free (probably b/c he knows I'm about to pay him 1500 lol) anyways I will keep you guys posted on whats happening. Thank you again for all of the replies!

Just went to a local shop and got a quote of 950-1550 depending on what he find when he drops the trans and has a look in it. The guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about and his shop has been there forever. He even had it towed there for free (probably b/c he knows I'm about to pay him 1500 lol) anyways I will keep you guys posted on whats happening. Thank you again for all of the replies!

Sounds about like every shop out there... check the BBB before giving them any money. Shops are getting far worse since the economy has slowed down.