Got My Headers, Obx.. Now I Have A Quick Question

mightbstock

I have read a lot of places that there are fitment issues with 4x4.. or even AWD for that matter. Has anyone with OBX headers and AWD had this issue. I posted on GMfullsize but all I got was that OBX makes shit products.. Any input appreciated. thanks

-Evan

OBX headers aren't that bad, they are the old Dynatech design. Do a search here, I recall there being some fitment issues as well, I believe Mr. P. had to make a small firewall adjustment with a hammer to get the passenger side to fit........

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

I just installed obx headers on my awd had no fitment issues once so ever very easy install and well worth the money it came with there high flow cats. Only thing I dont like are the clamps, but you can pick up some clamps off of summitt or somewhere else. And the welds look awesome I would buy them if I had to again.

Only thing I dont like are the clamps, but you can pick up some clamps off of summitt or somewhere else.

The Dynatech kit has the same clamps, and they stink LOL. I found the easiest solution was to have the two slip joints welded.....

I did not plan on using the clamps anyway. I installed pacesetters on my old silverado, so I hope these are about the same. Why does everyone on GMFS bitch and moan about how much crap they are? I couldn't see spending 800 on a set of headers when I got these for less than 300

...I believe Mr. P. had to make a small firewall adjustment with a hammer to get the passenger side to fit........

Yeah kinda - the headers I had were AEM Brute Force, not OBX - and those I had to 'massage' the floor under the brake booster. :smash:

...I couldn't see spending 800 on a set of headers when I got these for less than 300

TOTALLY AGREE - the Pacesetters are a proven design, you just have to get them jet-hot treated first and they last. OBX gets a lot of bashing because (1) they are made offshore, (2) they are obviously the original Dynatech design that either they ripped-off or possibly purchased the design from Dynatech, (3) they are made from inferior steel, and (4) they only have a 2.5" collector.

After the experience I have had, I would highly recommend a 3" collector on even a stock LQ9 motor, the Pacesetter is a very cost-effective item because the primaries are 1.75" and have a 3" collector - I know Dan Crosby's '03 AWD SS ran 13.7x with Pacesetters, Flowmasters, 3200 converter, shift kit, other bolt-ons, and Charlie Wheatley's tune. The Pacesetter collectors could be better and they need coating but hey with careful shopping a guy can have a very good perfoming header system out the door for half the cost of a set of premium longtubes (American Racing or Stainless Works by comparison).

Check out the LPP headers too, I have not run them but hear very good things about them.

In defense of premium headers (because I own a set of American Racing longtubes) they ARE a little more artistically designed/crafted, what I mean is that when it comes to fitment *wow* the AR are fantastic pieces, they look amazing in the truck and I was able to order them with larger 1-7/8" primaries, and good stainless steel is much more expensive material and FAR more expensive to tool and weld. So all those factors add-up to a much larger price tag. But let's be real the Pacesetters don't rub anywhere and just need to be coated and installed with a very good set of Accuseal clamps!

Mr. P. :)

Yeah kinda - the headers I had were AEM Brute Force, not OBX - and those I had to 'massage' the floor under the brake booster. :smash:

TOTALLY AGREE - the Pacesetters are a proven design, you just have to get them jet-hot treated first and they last. OBX gets a lot of bashing because (1) they are made offshore, (2) they are obviously the original Dynatech design that either they ripped-off or possibly purchased the design from Dynatech, (3) they are made from inferior steel, and (4) they only have a 2.5" collector.

After the experience I have had, I would highly recommend a 3" collector on even a stock LQ9 motor, the Pacesetter is a very cost-effective item because the primaries are 1.75" and have a 3" collector - I know Dan Crosby's '03 AWD SS ran 13.7x with Pacesetters, Flowmasters, 3200 converter, shift kit, other bolt-ons, and Charlie Wheatley's tune. The Pacesetter collectors could be better and they need coating but hey with careful shopping a guy can have a very good perfoming header system out the door for half the cost of a set of premium longtubes (American Racing or Stainless Works by comparison).

Check out the LPP headers too, I have not run them but hear very good things about them.

In defense of premium headers (because I own a set of American Racing longtubes) they ARE a little more artistically designed/crafted, what I mean is that when it comes to fitment *wow* the AR are fantastic pieces, they look amazing in the truck and I was able to order them with larger 1-7/8" primaries, and good stainless steel is much more expensive material and FAR more expensive to tool and weld. So all those factors add-up to a much larger price tag. But let's be real the Pacesetters don't rub anywhere and just need to be coated and installed with a very good set of Accuseal clamps!

Mr. P. :)

i believe they are 300 series stainless.

anyway i'm getting so sick of people bashing OBX....unless your moving an a$$ load of air you can't beat them for the price. 1.750 primary tubes, stainless, bolt in, i never had a fitment problem. unless i need a 1.875 primary i can't see buying anything else. Tell the guys that bash them.....to get their story right and learn the facts.

i believe they are 300 series stainless.

anyway i'm getting so sick of people bashing OBX....unless your moving an a$$ load of air you can't beat them for the price. 1.750 primary tubes, stainless, bolt in, i never had a fitment problem. unless i need a 1.875 primary i can't see buying anything else. Tell the guys that bash them.....to get their story right and learn the facts.

thank you sir, this makes me more confident in installing them on my truck.

i just put a set on another members truck, and no problems there either. And the fake cats will pass an emission inspection and road side inspection... don't ask how i know. They will NOT pass a sniffer test, but will pass the OBD II test as long as the rear O2s are turned off via the tune

i just put a set on another members truck, and no problems there either. And the fake cats will pass an emission inspection and road side inspection... don't ask how i know. They will NOT pass a sniffer test, but will pass the OBD II test as long as the rear O2s are turned off via the tune

I knew they wouldn't pass anything. I've been wanting a tune, so I guess now is the perfect time.

Edit: Just read that I might as well swap to a 160* stat since its a cheap enough mod before the tune.

Edited by mightbstock (see edit history)

maybe a tunner can chime in here and set me straight, but the gain with a 160 stat is pretty much nothing unless your SC'd and creating a huge heat problem. It allows you to advance the timing just a bit more because a cool motor will resist detenation better. I'd be very interested in what a tunner does with a 160 compared to a stock 195 in terms of advance, and then how much HP the timing advance gives. But at any rate it isn't going to hurt anything so why not...