new Hotchkins sway bars

j4nash

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the ride is the same as stock just better handling 

I have Hotchkiss bars on my 1996 Impala SS, but the front is a hollow bar (1 & 7/16"). I did not know they were using solid bars. I have a 1.25" Addco solid bar on my 94Z28M6.

Stiffer swaybars will compromise some aspects of the ride, but I feel that it is worth it. The effect is to reduce the independence of your front suspension. The ride will be rougher in situations in which 1 wheel hits a bump or hole.

Rick R

The stock front sway on my '04 is 1.25".

Maybe the Hotchkis is 1.5?

I added poly end links and sway bar bushings to my truck. It 'did' firm up the side to side ride of the truck. The roads I travel are really REALLY poor quality. They are almost all small town country roads here in the snow belt... so the extra tightness would be much more noticeable during normal driving than it would for people living in southern states.

I ended up going back to the stock rubber units only because I felt 'too tight' of a front end, with no sway out back, was transmitting too much side to side motion to the frame/chassis/body when I was on uneven roads.

I'd be willing to bet even with the tigher (side to side) running Hotchkis sways, that they would even out the ride a lot better than upgrading front sway components alone. (the rear sway would keep things in check)

The upgraded stock front sway components DID get the truck handling better when I'd drive hard. Not a dramatic difference, but noticeable.

I'm planning on Hotchkis sways once I get some motor work out of my system.

Archived