Disk brake self adjustment...

marc_w

Is everyones brakes self adjusting properly?

I've had a soft, spongy, pedal since I owned the truck. I've given it a handfull of 'emergency like stops', and the pedal/brake engagement height hasn't changed, it's always been about 1/3 to 1/2 travel of the pedal. Initial bite has always been very "wooden" in feeling. I got the "squish" sound every time I applied the brake. I put about 15,500 miles on the truck like this, thinking it was normal.

So I order some stainless steel lines, believing it's just the stock rubber hoses that causing this. Sure enough, within 24 hours of doing so, my brake pedal is up at the top of it's travel, and it super nice and firm. Brake bite is PERFECT. No more having to over anticipate my stops due to not knowing where the pedal will start to engage. Brake power seems to have doubled.

Disk brakes are pretty simple as to how they should be self adjusting.... and I don't see why mine weren't. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Yes, I got the Earls....

I should note that I worded this funny..... I don't have the brake lines in my possesion yet... I was just infering that it was the FACT THAT I ORDERED THEM that got the brakes working as I feel they should.

So, the brake lines have not been installed! :D The brakes just corrected themselves.

Yes, I got the Earls....

I should note that I worded this funny..... I don't have the brake lines in my possesion yet... I was just infering that it was the FACT THAT I ORDERED THEM that got the brakes working as I feel they should.

So, the brake lines have not been installed! :D The brakes just corrected themselves.

:lol::crazy:

So, you have the "randomly self-adjusting" brakes from the factory.

I wonder what would happen if you canceled your order for the steel lines... :rolleyes::jester:

My brakes have been fluctuating these last few days. Looks like I'll still have a reason to try the lines.

So everyone else brakes are nice and firm, and at the top of the pedals travel?

• 4 weeks later...

My brakes went through warranty issues about four times and I finally just decided to eat the $$$ and begin replacing them with aftermarket. I had similar issues with a '99 Pontiac GrandAm. Purchased PowerSlot rotors, and Performance Frictions pads. Made all the difference in the world for that car.

Soooo, am going likewise for my '03 Silverado. I replaced the front OEM rotors with PowerSlots, and purchased Performance Friction pads. Probably should have purchased Hawke instead since Performance Friction recommends those now.

At any rate, the pedal travel is now high and the braking is far better than before, including feel and control.

I'll be doing the rear within a couple of months.

It just isn't worth the aggravation to fighting with the dealer who replaces, replaces, replaces as the only solution. Replacing rotors and pads on these trucks is really easy (don't forget the breaker bar!) and the cost of doing so is not overly expensive.

Try the braided steel lines and a set of Hawk HPS Carbon Ceramic pads. They are awesome! If you've got really deep pockets and room for a full size spare tire in the bed, try the Baer Eradispeed plus 1 brake upgrade. Looks sweet and stops like a champ. :thumbs:

I've got the Eradispeeds and ceramic pads (no other upgrades) and I still hate the brakes.

Ben: Did the braided lines make much difference? If so, I'm changing. Part numbers, etc. would be most helpful. Where do I find this "Earl" guy?

I've got the Eradispeeds and ceramic pads (no other upgrades) and I still hate the brakes.

Ben: Did the braided lines make much difference? If so, I'm changing. Part numbers, etc. would be most helpful. Where do I find this "Earl" guy?

They made a pretty good difference. I also changed my fluid to ATE Super Blue Racing fluid and pads to Hawk pads. My thread on SS lines has the part numbers and you can order that part number from Thunder Racing, I think. If you can't find them anywhere, let me know.

Archived