Weight Of Custom Wheels

Merc Dr.

For those that like to run at the track or are concerned about mileage, here's a little info. I was looking at the Centerline wheels for our trucks on their web site. I noticed that with every jump in size (16-18, 18-20) ther was a 2-3 pound jump in weight. Until you get to the jump from 20"-22". It then jumps 9-10 ponds per wheel. I would assume this goes for other brands as well, but it's something to think about before deciding on new rims. 10 pounds may not seem like alot, but if you consider that's 40 pounds toal for all four. I don't know the math to figure out the "rolling mass", but i'm sure that's gonna kill mileage as well as track times.

http://centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals_list.php

Edited by Merc Dr. (see edit history)

people who put rims usually look into this anyway because most of them are running superchargers or turbos and want to go faster and lets face it you didn't put 5k into the motor to drop another 2-3k to run slower. Some of us just don't really car about going a little slower because we are more into looks.

and then there are the guys like me who know what rotating weight is and would not spend 1 dollar on a rim that would make me slower in the quarter. the 20" wheels are 24 pounds a piece if i remember, with my tires(which i also opted for the lightest tire that i felt would get traction) my combo is around 44 pounds a piece. My stock rims and nitto 404 tires weigh in a 82 pounds a piece.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...p;hl=centerline

there is some reading on what i went through and their weights.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I have mine sitting at about 76.5lbs,(22's, 285/45/22) dont know what my stock vho wheels with tires weigh, but I assume more than that.

Going by memory here but I think the factory wheel package is 88-lbs each? 44 for the rim, 44 for the tire?

You would be surprised what a little investigation will reveal here; the problem is not so much the rim, but the TIRE - you want to see amazing go look at some of the tire weights on the 22" wheels - some are 15-lbs heavier per tire, plus another 15-20 lbs increase in rim weight and you could easily add 100+ lbs to your truck in rolling/unsprung weight :sick: OTOH you can get a set of Centerline 20's and with some creative tire shopping loose over 100-lbs from the truck.

Mr. P. :)

kmc wheels xd editions are more for duramaxs or heavy dutys not sure what they weight tho at first i was for looks now i want to buy dereks ss "jaymz"

Derek treated me to a ride in his truck - you will have a very hard time finding an SS in better condition. :pimp:

Mr. P. :)

it all depends on what you go with . for example i have a 18 wheel setup for the track that weighs about 62 lbs. the biggest tire in a drag radial i could find for an 18 centerline which was also the lightest wheel in the offset/width i needed.

however my wheels i keep the truck on are 22's but only weigh in @ 29lbs. with the tires i think they weigh in at a little more than my drag radials.

the key is finding a light wheel you like.