Trans Tuning With Hpt

AKSSS

I have been slowly reading and learning as much as I can about tuning my own truck. I currently have a very good and reliable tune from Zippy, but who am I to leave things left alone when I have a perfectly good tuning software on my computer. :devil:

With that said, here is my problem. I have been trying to get my fuel trims spot on and I haven't gotten to learning how to adjust my maf yet(still concidering a speed density tune). I noticed that you have a normal transmission setting and a performance setting. I decided HEY maybe I can have a stock trans setup for just normal driving, and just push the tow/haul button and have my performance setup in performance mode(great for when the wife is driving). I get everything punched in and load the tune in the truck, and now my tow/haul switch won't work!! :confused:

What the heck did I do wrong here? Under the trans setting in Hpt, under shift properties, general, performance option what do you want to have in this box? Mine says class 2. But should I switch it to "one switch" or "two switch" instead? I am sure someone on here can help me before I go post this dumb question on hpt. Any help would be great!

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

I have been slowly reading and learning as much as I can about tuning my own truck. I currently have a very good and reliable tune from Zippy, but who am I to leave things left alone when I have a perfectly good tuning software on my computer. :devil:

With that said, here is my problem. I have been trying to get my fuel trims spot on and I haven't gotten to learning how to adjust my maf yet(still concidering a speed density tune). I noticed that you have a normal transmission setting and a performance setting. I decided HEY maybe I can have a stock trans setup for just normal driving, and just push the tow/haul button and have my performance setup in performance mode(great for when the wife is driving). I get everything punched in and load the tune in the truck, and now my tow/haul switch won't work!! :confused:

What the heck did I do wrong here? Under the trans setting in Hpt, under shift properties, general, performance option what do you want to have in this box? Mine says class 2. But should I switch it to "one switch" or "two switch" instead? I am sure someone on here can help me before I go post this dumb question on hpt. Any help would be great!

i was under the impression that the only parameters you could change in tow/haul mode was line pressure :dunno:

i was under the impression that the only parameters you could change in tow/haul mode was line pressure :dunno:

Tow/Haul is the equivalent of the performance setting on the F body's and corvette... the difference is in the name and tunning. Tow haul can be set up to become performace if you would like and it controls line pressures as well as shift points, firmness and speed.

to the OP, tha table that you are talking about, I believe is the one that ask what type of communication there is between the trans and PCM... wich is class 2, don't change it.

What you can do is take a look at the trans settings from a corvette, and go from there... TUNER BEWARE though

im not exactly sure what all can be changed with tow/haul mode...i know i had wheatley change my shift points, shift firmness and drop torque management in tow/haul mode. as for how much more in depth you can get besides that, i have no clue :dunno:

Tow/Haul is the equivalent of the performance setting on the F body's and corvette... the difference is in the name and tunning. Tow haul can be set up to become performace if you would like and it controls line pressures as well as shift points, firmness and speed.

to the OP, tha table that you are talking about, I believe is the one that ask what type of communication there is between the trans and PCM... wich is class 2, don't change it.

What you can do is take a look at the trans settings from a corvette, and go from there... TUNER BEWARE though

I figured out through more reading that the class 2 setting is the obd2 setting(or pcm controled). Not through a momentary switch(pin 71 or something). I am not looking to go extreme on my trans settings or anything. I actually don't even Have to change it at all. I am just trying to understand it so I have this option later. I only have my performance settings now, I was thinking more of adding in the lighter setup into the normal mode. I still haven't figured out what I changed that won't let me turn my tow/haul button on.

im not exactly sure what all can be changed with tow/haul mode...i know i had wheatley change my shift points, shift firmness and drop torque management in tow/haul mode. as for how much more in depth you can get besides that, i have no clue :dunno:

Pretty much what I am looking to do in performance mode. Then a easier tune in normal mode.

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

also keep in mind that you have to change the ETC settings for tow haul mode also. the stock settings don't allow for much throttle control in t/h mode... infact, in t/h the pcm only comands 68% throttle body opening.

Once again beware because you can fudge up the TAC module and be with out a truck by changing the throttle settings to much

Edited by chpspecial (see edit history)

also keep in mind that you have to change the ETC settings for tow haul mode also. the stock settings don't allow for much throttle control in t/h mode... infact, in t/h the pcm only comands 68% throttle body opening.

Once again beware because you can fudge up the TAC module and be with out a truck by changing the throttle settings to much

Well I have given up on this idea for the time beinguntill I learn a little more. That is good info to have. I didn't know about the 68% throttle deal. I still am trying to figure out why my t/h mode will not even turn on. Makes no sence to me why it would not work.

How do you know it is not working... could it just be that the bulb went out... if you press the button, do you feel a change in the trans settings.

Huh. Honestly. Hadn't thought of that. I can't remember. But when can you turn on the tow/haul mode? One of my buddies told me you had to be moving down the road in "d" for it to engage. Does anyone know? I don't think it will turn on, stopped in "p".

Thanks for all the help Too Chpspecial! Always good info.