6 Speed With Awd

2005Silveradoss

Kellyperformance had a 2WD supercharged SS and he went through at least 3 different clutches and couldnt get them to last more than a couple thousand miles at most I think. Jaymzss is right, do a search on it. I also asked Kellyperformance if an AWD could be done and said it could be done (he quoted somewhere in the $6-10k range if I recall correctly and he said at that point, coolness aside, a 4L80E would be better and cheaper), but the 6spd manual probably wouldn't last either because of power/weight most likely. If you have to have a 6spd, take a look at the TCI 4L80E 6spd trans they built on TCI's website. Its pricey (and again, almost not worth it) and its an auto, but its a 6spd with paddle shifters.

Link? I'd like to see the info on that build. Thanks.

Not too much info released but here is the tread

EDIT: Its RWD not AWD...

http://www.tbmsport.com/6l80egm6spdconversion.html

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34728

Edited by WICKEDOWESIX (see edit history)

Thanks. That's awesome. I hope they do it. I would do the conversion in a heartbeat if they ever truly figure it out. I know a couple of companies have ventured down this path only to do a one off or custom project, have issues, and never really bring anything to market that I am aware of. I know someone had a controller figured out to get around the electronics/PCM control issues, but I haven't heard or seen anything about it lately. I'm sure someone will find a way eventually and have it cost effective hopefully.

I dont think the 6L80 would be worth the cost. It would be cool, but truck w/o can bus are screwed and if it's north of a couple grand then I would spend my $$ elsewhere. It would be cool to drop the Vette auto 6 speed into the rear fo a TBSS

That is true as the Trailblazer/Envoy and SSR are on similar frames. If I recall from my days at TRW, the Trailblazer regular wheel base was a 360 platform designation, the extended models were 370 and the SSR was a 365 or 368 designation, the frame was shortened from the 370, but longer wheelbase than the standard trailblazer 360 platform. With that, everything underneath should be similar if I recall. We did some of the early abs/tc work on the SSR around 2002. We did development on a 360 mule with 20" wheels and SSR brakes fit onto the 360. So the six speed manual should be able to fit into a trailblazer with probably minimal modification like driveshaft length, etc.

And Joe, you're right about the can/bus and compatibility issues, however, I still hope someone figures out a way around it (cost effective way). I know some companies were trying to develop stand alone control modules but I haven't seen any updates or followed it much in the last year so I dont what has been accomplished, if anything.

However, I am just considering selling the SS and moving on, possibly into a Denali that already has the 6L80E or maybe even a JGC SRT8 or back to my old two car system with a winter beater and summer fun car like an F-body. Who knows.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

what do u think the longenvity (sp) of a t56 6 speed manual would b in a 2wd tbss?

i did sum digging and cant decide on what kinda t56 to buy....prolly a noob question but is there ne difference between the t 56 in the vette z06 or the ssr t56 or the cts v t56?