Adjusting Torsion Bar Bolts.

Tzer

I feel stupid for asking but!

When adjusting the Torsion Bolts....

Do both wheels need to be off the ground or can I just raise one side at a time and make the adjustmet?

I know I should probably let her down off the jack hard and or drive it forward and back a little so everything settles. It was lowered on an alignment rack so it was just turn the bolt.

But I think I'm going to have to raise it a little so my stockers don't rub..

Yep. Getting time for the winter wheels :/

I adjusted mine while the truck was on the ground ..

:nono: no no..

You can do it one wheel at a time.. But I've always just centered my jack under the front of the truck and took the whole front end up at once.

and yes your correct, try to back down your driveway and come back up so it settles down

i could be wrong, but I thought as long as you turned either bolt the same amount it didn't matter.

That will get it close, but each truck we've adjusted needed differing amounts of preload adjustment on each side to get rid of the dreaded 'Chevy Lean'. Play with it enough and you will discover as you bring one front corner down it's opposite rear corner will raise on you! It takes a bit of experimentation to get the stance right, and then you have to drive the truck to let everything settle and measure/correct again!

The reason to jack the front of the truck off the ground is to relieve all the weight off the torsion bar preload bolts, that way the first couple threads at the end of the adjuster bolts don't get marred/destroyed -and- if you have severely rusted/corroded hardware you won't risk break off one of the bolt heads. Personally I lifted the front of my truck enough to take the weight off before RAISING the frame (tightening the preload bolts) but when lowering I just reached a rachet under the truck and gave the bolts a few turns. You'll have to search, I believe 8-turns would move the truck up or down 1/4"??? But it's been 5 years now, it might have been 1/2" travel...

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

i adjusted mine on the ground measured the gap between the tire and bottom of the fender.

i came back a few days later measured again still good to after about 6 months