Whats Wrong?

kevinthegreat

a couple of weeks ago i bought some new rims and had my tires i took off my stock wheels put on them. i started having vibration in the steering wheel and i brought it in to be rebalanced. they rebalanced but its still doing it. the vibration starts at 60-65 mph, but if you keep it steady at that speed it will stop after a little bit, but pick up again if you come off of that speed and then go back to it. i think it could be my tires because of going from a 8.5 inch wide wheel to 9.5 inch wheel with the same tires. could this be the reason? anyone else ever have this problem? any help would be cool. thanks :chevy:

Yes this is rather typical if you change rim width. Your contact patch is now different and the vibration will continue until you wear the tire to match with the new rims. Its a real PITA, I had the similar deal. I think I may need new tie rods too. The vibration is a nightmare.

how did you find out that it needed the rings instead of a balance, etc.

She bought the wheels and tires from our local Les Schwab store and every spring when she'd have them put them on it would shimmy at about 50-60 mph. We'd take it back and they'd check the balance and rotate the wheels around and finally they'd get it right and it wouldn't shimmy anymore....until the next spring then we'd do it all over. This spring the same thing happened and I went in with a bad attitude and told them the whole story again and I was tired of bringing it back every spring. One guy there suggested the hub centric rings so I had them order them and put them on, so far no shimmy, so we'll see what happens in the spring.

She bought the wheels and tires from our local Les Schwab store and every spring when she'd have them put them on it would shimmy at about 50-60 mph. We'd take it back and they'd check the balance and rotate the wheels around and finally they'd get it right and it wouldn't shimmy anymore....until the next spring then we'd do it all over. This spring the same thing happened and I went in with a bad attitude and told them the whole story again and I was tired of bringing it back every spring. One guy there suggested the hub centric rings so I had them order them and put them on, so far no shimmy, so we'll see what happens in the spring.

lol that sucks.... sounds like you had to go through alot of trouble. thank you for response. i researched my rims alittle and found out that they are suppose to not need them

• 3 weeks later...

I expeienced this when I replaced my stock wheels with my current American Racing Torque Thurst 2s on the original Goodyear tires. I replaced the Goodyears at 20,000 miles with Pireli Scorpion ATR tires and have not had the shimming since. They told me at the tire shop they had replaced several sets of Goodyear Eagle LS tires which went out of true round after 10-15,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...
i have an 04 silverado and i getting ready to put stock sss 20 with firestone pz900's will i have this problem?

you shouldnt if your tires are new. the reason mine did was because i went to a wider wheel with tires that were worn in to the narrower wheel

I had the Les Schwab "shimmy" as well. It happened at the same speed. So the quick fix was just pin it to get through that spee zone as fast as possible. That drove the wife absolutly nuts so I did it all the time :D . She should ride in the bed "strap her down"!!! Sorry I got off track. I had to bring my SS back to them three different times for rebalancing. Each time the weights were in different places and different amounts. The last time it happened I took it to a different wheel shop and explained to the owner of that shop and he laughed :confused: . I hope it was because he knew what to do. Not to knock on Les Schawb but I have rotated the tires about three different times and no "shimmy." It was diving me crazy I was ready to toss the 22's and go back to the oem 20's.