Trans Drive Shaft Seal

My 2004 SS rear drive shaft seal in the trans is leaking again. I changed the seal a year ago. I'm think its the tailshaft bearing because of the up and down and side to side play. It's not real bad but noticeable. My question is do I have to pull the whole trans to replace this bearing? Thanks

Do you mean the seal on the transfer case? Then, yes, in order to replace the bearing, the transfer case must be removed and disassembled. The seal, I believe, can be replaced in the vehicle. You do not have to remove the transmission in order to remove the transfer case.

Do you mean the seal on the transfer case? Then, yes, in order to replace the bearing, the transfer case must be removed and disassembled. The seal, I believe, can be replaced in the vehicle. You do not have to remove the transmission in order to remove the transfer case.

I'm talking about the rear drive shaft bearing in the trans, not the front drive shaft bearing. The rear trans tailshaft bearing if that's what you want to call it. So looking at the back of the trans I will have to take all of the bolts out of the case and split it?

If you have AWD and are referring to where the front of the driveshaft goes into, that is the transfer case attached to the back of your transmission. Your front driveshaft goes out the front of it to the front diff and the driveshaft goes out the back to the rear diff. You will have to separate the transfer case from the transmission and disassemble the transfer case to properly get at the bearing.

I've dropped the transfer case before and also the transmission. Its easy to drop the transfer case and to put it back in. Splitting it and rebuilding it though I would leave to a professional myself. Its no where near as complicated as a transmission, there are just some bearings, sprags/gears/chain inside, but I opted to not do it myself. If you want to tackle it yourself, you could contact these guys...

http://www.drivetrain.com

They should be able to get you the parts you need and maybe even give you an idea of whats involved. They sell rebuild kits as well for most units. I bought my rebuilt transfer case from them and they have been great help, better than any trans shop.

You could pull the case yourself also and just take it to a trans shop to save a little money if you need to. I would guess though that you would probably be looking at anywhere from $400-900 for a shop to drop it and R&R it for you.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

hey check one thing.. pull the seal out. and theres a bushing in front of the seal.. if thats out theres your problem.. i just went threw this myself.. and waited to long and had to replace the rear case half cause i couldnt figure out what was goin on in time.. anyways i pulled the tcase and split the case and put a new bearin in just to be safe in my truck..its pretty easy really.. i had it done in a few hours.. so if u end up doin it let me know if u need anything hell i still have the part numbers..

If you have AWD and are referring to where the front of the driveshaft goes into, that is the transfer case attached to the back of your transmission. Your front driveshaft goes out the front of it to the front diff and the driveshaft goes out the back to the rear diff. You will have to separate the transfer case from the transmission and disassemble the transfer case to properly get at the bearing.

:withstupid: You need to have the transfer case rebuilt for you; several have had issues with the rear bearing in the transfer case. Removing/reploacing the TC is straightforward, undo the six bolts holding the transfer case adapter to the back of the transmission along with the VSS wire, vent tube, and fuel rail bracket. The transmission stays in the truck (thank god).

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)