Having Trouble Starting The Truck In The Morning

Hey everyone, Just trying to get some opinions. I am up in Flagstaff AZ and its getting a little cold. When I start the SS in the morning she hesitates but does start the first time (barely gets going). After the initial start it will start like a champ every time after that. Any ideas on what could be going on. Haven't had a problem starting in cold weather before. Thanks for the help in advance.

Cars will naturally turn slower in cold weather. its just the way they are. Your battery should have an eye on the top of it if it is an original battery. Mine is still green but maybe just take a look at yours.

optima red top ftw

best batt imo

:withstupid: I had one in my S10 and it was by far the best battery I ever had. Not one problem starting it even on the coldest of days. :thumbs:

Oh and I also had a nice aftermarket head unit, 12" MTX Sub and amp, and neons on the inside(yes neons it was a phase lol) and thing never gave me one issue.

Edited by NashSS (see edit history)

something with more cca's ( cold dranking amps in your case is what is needed being colder)

high heat and extreme cold have the effect to shorten the life span on batteries.

however i will have to say that red tops in my experience are no better than a regular napa brand battery . they last as long as them and imo are nothing special . i have had much better luck with yellow tops . ( they are meant to be drained and re charged for high loads and autos with added electrical draw) yet they still work better than average on a stockish setup.

if you had a stocker last 5 years your doing pretty well and is indeed time for a replacement .

FYI ford batteries are the worst factory battery i have dealt with as a diesel mechanic. i have yet to see a pair ( i work on mostly diesel motors that have dual battery setups) of factory ford motorsport batteries go longer than a year without exploding getting acid everywhere or just failing.

just dont get some chinese cheapo battery , a warranty with a battery is something i would get . napa has a pretty good warranty program and is who i would give my money too over say autozone.