Cloning

speedline

Somebody approached me in a parking lot and asked me if he could use my v.i.n. # to order a bumper cover for his Silverado. Caught off guard, I said I don't care. But I have a couple of issues with that. Will it be on my Carfax? Why would he need a v.i.n. # if anyone can buy one?

He said he tried to order a red one :dunno: and was told he needs a v.i.n. #. Maybe it was for color. His rear bumper was rolled. His truck was red but not victory red. I think he was legit. I was just wondering if you need a v.i.n. to buy parts and if will trace back to you.

No need for him to use yours, tell him to search Ebay for a SS and get the VIN from there. Why does he need it: parts counter person probably asked for it; maybe easier for them to look it up and get the correct part, and on some limited edition vehicles they require a VIN to try and keep them unique; SS's aren't one of those...anybody can go to a dealer and buy a SS bumper and scab it on a regular Silverado. :sigh:

No need to worry, I actually got asked the same question when I ordered a front bumper for my 1st clone ( before I bought the SS )

Parts person was just lazy and said he needed a VIN in order to pull up all those parts.

There were easier ways to go about getting one..but hey it works I guess

Thats kind of wierd, there was a guy stealing VIN's off rare cars and sending them up to his buddy @ the RMV in Canada and swapped VINs onto vehicles up north (that is why I cover my vin up). Turned out to be a ring in NYC, Boston, LA. Sounds sketchy to me imho, people have been cloning these trucks for awhile now and dont need VIN's to order parts. Maybe he got confused and thought your truck was an RST? Then again it says SS on the side...... :dunno:

No need to worry, I actually got asked the same question when I ordered a front bumper for my 1st clone ( before I bought the SS )

Parts person was just lazy and said he needed a VIN in order to pull up all those parts.

There were easier ways to go about getting one..but hey it works I guess

:withstupid: they do this to make sure they dont get blamed for getting the wrong part. he knows if he walks up to a parts counter and says i need a front bumper cover for this vin ending in xxxxxxxx it will be correct. no need to worry :)

just hope he wasnt getting a key cut!!!

You can't just walk into a dealership with a VIN and get a key cut. If that were the case you could go up to any vehicle in a parking lot and get keys cut. :idiot: You need to prove ownership. IE Title/reg/having the vehicle with you.

Like kelley and others have said. No need to worry. By using your VIN it just ensures he gets the right parts. Less chance of a mistake. Some parts people wont do it without a VIN just to protect there own a$$. There is no way it will get tracked back to you. You were just doing a fellow truck guy a favor.

Edited by delay18 (see edit history)