switching from awd to 2/4wd

I always thought the theory went something like this:

AWD = superior performance in limited traction situations (rain) and in cornering after relearning to drive :D Some loss of power in the transfer case (but no different from 4WD)

RWD = superior performance when traction isn't an issue, oversteer for more fun drifting, and full power to the wheels

4WD = superior performance in 4WD low in no traction situations, but constrained on speed and in good traction, some power loss in the transfer case (but same as AWD).

Am I mixed up on the power loss thing? Is the issue here wanting to have 2WD?

just curious as to why you would want to do this  :confused:

I figure if you want the option of 2wd you get a 1500 or 2500.  If you need the power of the SS, throw a SC on it.  Figure in the end its all about the same cost but now its what you wanted.

Well spoken haynss ! :thumbs:

AWD = superior performance in limited traction situations (rain) and in cornering after relearning to drive :D Some loss of power in the transfer case (but no different from 4WD)

Superior performance off the line too.

I think people just want 2WD so they can have fun roasting tires, burnouts, drifting, etc. Not to mention the better fuel economy, but the fuel economy isn't that much better with 2WD. I've researched 2WD and AWD versions of the same vehicle (with NVG149 and similar t-cases) and the difference in EPA fuel economy is only about 1mpg in favor of 2WD.

I enjoy pulling out in traffic and not spinning tires. awd transfer case is better, it uses a viscous clutch to split the torq depending on load. A 4wd transfer case splits torq 50 50. changing a awd to 4wd is not worth the time or money.

• 4 years later...
The switch is easy too (I'd wager the harness is behind the dash also)

4WD Switch

The switch fits in the worthless hole that is to the left of the instrument cluster on the SS.

yes it is i have a 2wd truck and the 4wd harness is behind the dash. i think it would be awesome to have in the 1/4 mile launch 4wd and switch it off after the 1/8 for better times

yes it is i have a 2wd truck and the 4wd harness is behind the dash. i think it would be awesome to have in the 1/4 mile launch 4wd and switch it off after the 1/8 for better times

damn someone's been digging deep today :D .

there's a guy over on pt.net with an 11sec sierra that does this, he's on here too just not as often. he goes under trever1t on pt.net

-Rob

damn someone's been digging deep today :D .

there's a guy over on pt.net with an 11sec sierra that does this, he's on here too just not as often. he goes under trever1t on pt.net

-Rob

yeah old thread but i had a question pop up in my mind so i used the search button Krambo and Kaotik1 would be proud

I would stay with AWD. I have the push button 4WD and would like to change it to AWD because of cornering and traction issues. The 4WD transfer case when locked in you cant drive it around corners very well, in mine anyhow because it binds up or something. The tires will squall a bit because there isnt any slip and all the tires traveling the same speed. Its is fine in a strait line but not in curves. Im not sure if this is the transfer case or the front differental?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a dumb question to throw out there, but besides the cornering, maybe hook up off the line, what is the true reasoning for the all the time AWD? and does it really rob you of all that mileage with it being connected all the time? And whats the ratio? how does all that work? Just trying to get to know my truck alittle better, thanks if you guys have any info.

Archived