Coolant Leak

Barney

SS Members,

I have a small leak in my coolant system. It has lost about half a gallon since July. I thought it was most likely the valve on the Radiator but that was fine. Seems to be from the bottom of the Water Pump.

Has anyone else had this problem. Is it a common issue. I am going to try a stop leak liquid before I put on a new pump.

Thanks IN advance,

Barney

If its the water pump going out I wouldn't recommend using stop leak as I have had some bad experiences with it. The water pump is really easy to change on these trucks. Also check your hoses going to the water pump as mine had a lose heater hose causing a leak. Good luck!

Alright thanks guys. I had not heard of any problems with the waterpumps. I thought it was just me or maybe something worse. Did a compression test and that looks good and the leak is on the front of the engine. That would lead me to think its new pump time. This one does have 90k on it!

The water pump gaskets are very common failures on these engines, and they're less than $20 for the pair, whereas I have seen waterpumps go for $400+. Haven't heard of too many water pump failures. If the coolant isn't coming out of the weep hole or from the front seal, I'll bet that it's the gaskets between the pump and engine. They may not even leave a messy trail behind...

I just replaced the water pump gaskets on mine as I had a little coolant leak. The gaskets in these trucks are metal with a rubber ring on the inside. Any little oxidation and the gasket pulls itself apart and causes the leak.