Car Care Help

So I now have my dream truck and I run into a very big problem. Not really owning a vehicle that I have cared enough about the exterior to take car of it, i find that i am behind the power curve on maintaining my 04 SS. Its black with stock wheels, for now, and I'm not sure how often to wax, work on the interior leather, etc... and would like to get some solid opinions on it. Thanks

Well, the first questions are do you garage your truck? Or is it stored outside? Is it your daily driver or is it a weekend toy? This will help determine what intervals to use......

I live in the barracks so it sits in a open parking lot all the time. Its a daily driver except during the summer when I ride my motorcycle alot to help save gas.

Edited by DerickD (see edit history)

My truck was a daily driver until recently and is also stored outside, here is my schedule of appearance maintenance....

-wash & dry weekly(including wheel wells, door jambs, & rims)

-clean interior weekly(dust dash & vacuum)

-clay bar/polish/wax twice per year

-polish rims once per month(if yours are chrome)

-clean and condition leather once per month

-clean and apply protectant to dash and interior plastics once per month

-wipe down engine compartment after every other wash

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

If you want some really good products that will help you look into www.adamspolishes.com they offer all kinds of products for inside and out and offer videos also to help you if you are inexperienced with detailing your vehicle or unsure of what to use on your truck. They also have a forum www.adamsforums.com with lots of people who can point in the right direction. There is also a guy named Dylan who is a member here and on adamsforums that will probably chime in and point you in the right direction. If you need any more info feel free to ask.

If you want some really good products that will help you look into www.adamspolishes.com they offer all kinds of products for inside and out and offer videos also to help you if you are inexperienced with detailing your vehicle or unsure of what to use on your truck. They also have a forum www.adamsforums.com with lots of people who can point in the right direction. There is also a guy named Dylan who is a member here and on adamsforums that will probably chime in and point you in the right direction. If you need any more info feel free to ask.

Who? Me? :jester:

Fireman laid out a pretty decent regiment for you. Being that the truck isn't garaged you'll want to keep the protection built up to withstand all that will be attacking the paint. The world is very unfriendly to clearcoat so the more you can do to PREVENT damage the less time you'll have to spend fixing it. That being the case I'd steer you in the direction of a synthetic sealant for your protection... they tend to have better durability/less maintenance. Drawback is that sealants tend to have less depth and gloss than a comparable carnuba wax product... if you want the best of both worlds you can always layer an inexpensive liquid wax like Adams Buttery Wax over the top of a sealant like Adams Machine Superwax. Whatever sealant you're applying to the paint I would apply to the wheels as well... they need to be protected just as much as your paint does.

I'd also recommend a waterless washing product for you to do routine wipe downs of the paint between washes. Adams has a killer waterless wash product that came out just recently that has super high lubricity and leaves nothing behind on the finish. Its great for doing 'in between' cleanups when you don't want to drag out the bucket and hose.