Block Heater Cord...?

AKSSS

Hopefully someone can answer a question for me. I was winterizing my wifes 08'tbss today and had a couple of buddies in the garage with me. I'm sure that everyon has that buddy that HAS to understand what or how something works( kinda like Mr. P I think :wtf:) . We have winterized a quite a few cars in our time but never seen a block heater with a cord that looks like this.

s25w7k.jpgvyvzh2.jpgiz0zsz.jpg

So my buddy proceded to pry the cap off the plug and it pulled apart some kinda of resistor or something in there. Anyone have any idea what this plugs function is about? Because now the block heater doesn't work and before I just replace the plug end I better know what is going on here.

...kinda like Mr. P I think :wtf:...

uh-huh what the hell makes you think *I* would know - *I* chose to live in TEXAS, not the freakin' North Pole! :jester:

I looked in the 2003 Silverado service manual and the block heater accessory isn't covered; I also looked for "having friends that don't help themselves to tearing up my sh!t" and that wasn't covered either. :jester:

Mr. P. :)

uh-huh what the hell makes you think *I* would know - *I* chose to live in TEXAS, not the freakin' North Pole! :jester:

I looked in the 2003 Silverado service manual and the block heater accessory isn't covered; I also looked for "having friends that don't help themselves to tearing up my sh!t" and that wasn't covered either. :jester:

Mr. P. :)

I had to throw that one at you Mr P. :jester: I think there is an addition in the supplument on the "having friends that don't help themselves to tearing up MY WIFES stuff". She wasn't very impressed. Cut us back on the beer for the night. :wtf:

I have looked throught the tbss owners manual and it didn't say anything either.

could it just be a fuse, to prevent a short or meltdown. in playing with it, it could have come apart or blown.

My buddy pulled apart some type of resistor or sensor or something? This is what was under that black cap.....

jptymh.jpg2medg5v.jpg

On this little cap it says "elmwood sensors 3004". Ring anyones bell?

kind of sucks it doesent work now , if it were me i would re-install the part you removed , and test for power on the other side of it . if it does see power then i would say its something on the other end.

kind of sucks it doesent work now , if it were me i would re-install the part you removed , and test for power on the other side of it . if it does see power then i would say its something on the other end.

Lol. I would love to re-install the part. I can't put the sensor, relay, whatever it is, back into the plug and solder it in. The connections were made when it was originally assembled. Just not physically possible to get to the connections to put them back. Oh, well. I will go to the dealer tomorrow and get another cord. No biggie. I just don't understand what that sensor is doing in the plug end. :confused:

-edit Nice. Weather just said it is suppose to be 30-40 below this week. Nice. At least she has an auto start on her rig to keep it warm at work.

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)