Roll Bars And Cages

TYMBOM

I have noticed there are a few people here faster than 11.49 and some soon to be. Is there anyone here that has put in a roll bar? I am personally fighting this decision if I should do it or not. I just don't think it'd be worth it. Not cost wise, but even for looks on the street. After all, I didn't build a trailer queen, it is a street truck first.

I think personally I will do my one trip a year, rip off a good time, then get kicked off of the track until next season when they forget about me.

What are all of your thoughts?

I only got to the track once last season and did 11.47 then an 11.48 before they kicked me off. If all goes well, it'll see a 10.-- next year. There is still more in it. Even with that possibility, I still don't want to do a roll bar or worse, a cage. I have never seen one that appealed to me.

Is anyone else going to do one or have one done?

Edited by TYMBOM (see edit history)

im also trying to figure a way around it but rules are there for a reason.

so now what im after is a cage that will pass inpsection yet be some what removable enough to still allow full use of my ex cab truck.

so now what im after is a cage that will pass inpsection yet be some what removable enough to still allow full use of my ex cab truck.

I'm with you man. Let me know what you end up doing, lol.

Removable? What? Roll Bars & Roll Cages need to be welded. Unless you plan on cutting it out every time there is no removable option.

I have noticed there are a few people here faster than 11.49 and some soon to be. Is there anyone here that has put in a roll bar? I am personally fighting this decision if I should do it or not. I just don't think it'd be worth it. Not cost wise, but even for looks on the street. After all, I didn't build a trailer queen, it is a street truck first.

I think personally I will do my one trip a year, rip off a good time, then get kicked off of the track until next season when they forget about me.

What are all of your thoughts?

Why would a roll bar not be worth it cost wise? Its only about 5 bucks a foot for 4130 chromoly and 3 bucks for DOM.

I don't know what you mean by looks for the street. If you do it right or pay someone to do it right you shouldn't need to permanently remove any interior and will be completely out of your way and you won't even notice it. You can powdercoat it, and you need padding anywhere you helmet can touch. Roll cages and bars if done right are clean looking and stay out of the way.

The only thing I can think of that you would not want a roll cage/bar in your truck is if you have a tonneau cover you don't want to get rid of. Which you could cut and put long grommets to keep a weatherseal on it.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/featu...rado/index.html

Check his silverado out. He has a 10 point cage in, kept all of his interior and is barely noticable.

Doesn't matter if its a street or strip truck, safety is safety, and it sucks getting kicked out of the track.

Edited by Punisher (see edit history)

I was saying that the cost isn't a big deal but day to day climbing over the bars getting in and out are a pain.

I agree, that truck had one of the nicer setups and his rear window didn't look too bad either. I do have a bed cover and would really want to keep it. It locks and keeps punks from messing with my meth tank and ice box if I have it parked somewhere over night.

I also agree withthe saftey but that is what I am weighing, if going to the track often and "legal" is worth it "to me". That's why I'm asking others thoughts, I'm still kinda on the fence.

Thanks for the link, if I do end up doing it I will use that as my guideline for looks :cheers:

you can get swing out side bars that can remove so you dont have to climb over anything.

and last i check theres a legal way to run the rear bars on a extendo cab and not have mess with the roof or rear glass. just send them through bottom of the cab under the window and into the bed. a simple 6 point is good to 10.00 and i dont see many SSS running that and being driven daily.. and if so then not that often and it wont be that big of a deal

i was also imlying you can have a removable bar for the side bar on the drivers side and this is my plan . i want to be able to run at the track legally and most likly this will happen to mine in the not so distant future. however the back half of the truck will be done at the same time ( tubbed, 9 inch'ed , 4 linked and caged ) this way i can get reliability from my drivetrain, hook up if i go 2wd, be legal and safe on the track and tuck some big meat for the hood rats.

I would love to install a cage but i use my bed a lot, I have a hard cover, and I have my daughter with me all the time... So installing a cage that would eliminate the use of my back seat and not to mention i would have to install front aftermarket seats is just out of the question... Unless we find a cage that goes around everything...