Help Tuning In Ca

danielhernandez

They have a DynoJet dyno, which is useful for one thing only, wide open throttle.

Between a Dynojet and street tuning you can get a tune dialed in pretty close. There are times when people have been tuned on a Mustang dyno and left half tuned because of how long it takes to make a pull. If you make too many back to back pulls heat can be an issue. I agree that the Mustang leaves the ability there to make the tune as close to perfect as possible if used correctly and you have a couple days to do it. The shop I work for has a Dynojet and between the street and dyno tune I can get wideband readings to within 0-6% of correct in OLSD which is closer that some of the factory tunes. The tuner is often more of the problem than the dyno they are using.

Between a Dynojet and street tuning you can get a tune dialed in pretty close. There are times when people have been tuned on a Mustang dyno and left half tuned because of how long it takes to make a pull. If you make too many back to back pulls heat can be an issue. I agree that the Mustang leaves the ability there to make the tune as close to perfect as possible if used correctly and you have a couple days to do it. The shop I work for has a Dynojet and between the street and dyno tune I can get wideband readings to within 0-6% of correct in OLSD which is closer that some of the factory tunes. The tuner is often more of the problem than the dyno they are using.

But fueling isn't even remotely as important to part throttle drivability as having the correct ignition timing, which you can only get on a load bearing dyno. Using a Mainline or Dyno Dynamics dyno, I can usually get the part throttle timing dialed in in about 15-20 minutes from 1200-3600rpm.

But fueling isn't even remotely as important to part throttle drivability as having the correct ignition timing, which you can only get on a load bearing dyno. Using a Mainline or Dyno Dynamics dyno, I can usually get the part throttle timing dialed in in about 15-20 minutes from 1200-3600rpm.

That isn't correct unless you have a way to dyno the vehicle without IAT or ECT changing as you're logging and making changes. You can't even work on the timing much anyway until the v.e. table is correct because the pcm selects what part of the timing table to use via how much air it calculates is coming into the motor from the v.e. table and maf calibrations.

They have a DynoJet dyno, which is useful for one thing only, wide open throttle.

He did all my tuning on the street and IMO is an awesome tuner. The only time I was on the dyno there was for a HP number. I am just more comfortable with a live tune rather than shipping my PCM across the country, and the guy asking the question only lives an hour away. :cheers:

He did all my tuning on the street and IMO is an awesome tuner. The only time I was on the dyno there was for a HP number. I am just more comfortable with a live tune rather than shipping my PCM across the country, and the guy asking the question only lives an hour away. :cheers:

That's perfectly fine, I wouldn't suggest anything other than in-person for a setup of your type.

That said, with the level of build that you have there, a load bearing dyno is necessary to really dial in your part throttle ignition timing. It's one thing to tune a factory-type setup on the street after having done a ton of them. It's another to try and massage out 15ft-lbs extra at 1/2 throttle at 3000rpm. That kind of gain is easily seen when tuning on a dyno of that type, but can be impossible to ascertain on the street.