408? Dumb Question

So after getting into chevy and being on the forum for a bit and all that, been hearing alot about people stepping up to the 408. Is it a motor itself or do you just buy the rotating assembly to turn the Lq9 into a 408?

like this:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?i...86&catid=88

So after getting into chevy and being on the forum for a bit and all that, been hearing alot about people stepping up to the 408. Is it a motor itself or do you just buy the rotating assembly to turn the Lq9 into a 408?

like this:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?i...86&catid=88

That's one way to do it or you can machine the block .030 over

stock bore LQ9 with the stroker assembly equals 402 cubic inches..... Boring the LQ9 to .030" over will achieve a 408 cubic inches.. Hope this helps.

yep, pretty much what I was lookin for. have to change the heads if you did the bore/stroker kit?

yep, pretty much what I was lookin for. have to change the heads if you did the bore/stroker kit?

As stated above you can use your stock heads but remeber to check PTV clearance if using domed pistons or high lift cams. Good luck with your build :cheers:

Edited by WICKEDOWESIX (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
As stated above you can use your stock heads but remeber to check PTV clearance if using domed pistons or high lift cams. Good luck with your build :cheers:

:thumbs: Thanks, not building tho, just some gee whiz info, but gives me another direction to go with the truck

what would be your reason? I'm not sure if the lq9 allows for a .060 over bore due to water but besides water jackets in the block, does the block distort from being thinner wall section between cyclinders. I have heard of guys running .060 over on SBC but that ment if something happened the block was junk due to not being able to bore any larger

what would be your reason? I'm not sure if the lq9 allows for a .060 over bore due to water but besides water jackets in the block, does the block distort from being thinner wall section between cyclinders. I have heard of guys running .060 over on SBC but that ment if something happened the block was junk due to not being able to bore any larger

Yes you have thinner cylinder wall bores which are weaker and are prone to running hotter.