Cats Off Raspy Sound

1quicktruck

Took cats off , I have headers ,supercharged and exhaust is 3inch one inlet and 2 2.5 out all the way to the back. I had a one chambered muffler on at first which just about the loudest thing ever. I am now running a 2 chambered flow sound which looks like a flowmaster. body is 13inches in length.

The sound at idle is great and in town driving,lovin it but hard acceleration brings on the glass pack rackoff and at 50 to 70 mph the drone is driving me nuts.

Had computer tweaked to handle mods to exhaust so no gas smell and no ck eng lite. Dont know if I have any room for a resonator. Ordered a thunderbolt SS muffler but it is straight thru like a glass pack but it is 9 inches longer than the muffler I am running now.

Short of putting on high flow cats and paying to have the computer back to normal does anyone have had or know how to remedy this drone. Outside loud isnt the issue but cab drone is a killer. Dont care for the raspy glass pack rackoff either but can live with that, I think. :chevy:

i have my cats deleted also i used thrush turbo mufflers they are not every ones choice but it sounds great and has very very small drone the only time i can really hear it real good is when the ss is WOT some say the mufflers i have suck but i like them and it sounds good imo

i have my cats deleted also i used thrush turbo mufflers they are not every ones choice but it sounds great and has very very small drone the only time i can really hear it real good is when the ss is WOT some say the mufflers i have suck but i like them and it sounds good imo

I really appreciate the feedback as even all the muffler shops cannot help me. I heard a gibson with turned downs after the muffler which was longer than a street walkers dream and even though it wasnt loud and no drone I didnt care for the sound. I like the sound I have but the raspy is a bad deal and the drone is a killer headache.

If I go high flow cats and re-tweak the computer I am looking at 500 plus dollars. Darn the luck.

try an x-pipe. i'm not an expert but i think i read on here somewhere that really raspy exhaust notes come from unequal lengths of pipe and an x-pipe will help balance the flow, reducing the raspy not youre getting...not for sure :dunno: but i'm sure somebody will chime in...

I really appreciate the feedback as even all the muffler shops cannot help me. I heard a gibson with turned downs after the muffler which was longer than a street walkers dream and even though it wasnt loud and no drone I didnt care for the sound. I like the sound I have but the raspy is a bad deal and the drone is a killer headache.

If I go high flow cats and re-tweak the computer I am looking at 500 plus dollars. Darn the luck.

glad i was able to help some what i did that i didnt mention before and i apologize. i have two mufflers one for each pipe and have them dumped right behind the axle i hope this helped you i think my whole exhaust deleting my cats with mufflers and all labor was around 450 its not the best exhaust like i said but it sounds great and performs great

here is a quick idle and rev clip if this helps some: http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/M...nt=100_1036.flv

Edited by McMahan (see edit history)

glad i was able to help some what i did that i didnt mention before and i apologize. i have two mufflers one for each pipe and have them dumped right behind the axle i hope this helped you i think my whole exhaust deleting my cats with mufflers and all labor was around 450 its not the best exhaust like i said but it sounds great and performs great

here is a quick idle and rev clip if this helps some: http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/M...nt=100_1036.flv

You guys are great. Love to share info. I tried uploading my sound but it got an error on the server. I am not very good at all the pc whiz stuff.

if he went with an x-pipe he'd have to have a true dual setup fixed up first....however, if you did have true duals an x pipe would definitely help but i believe its most likely your muffler and the fact that youre running LTs and no cats...its gunna have some raspyness to it no matter what unless you want to experiment with alot of mufflers to find one you like. Id suggest maybe one of the larger magnaflow mufflers...im running magnaflows on my ss and love them, no rasp at all. then again, i still have cats and stock manifolds.

True duals and an x pipe would give you the sound you're looking for without that irritating sound inside the cab. The hi-flo cats are garbage and a waste of money IMO. I had them with the radix and they crapped out after a few months. If you want to keep running it without cats, changing your muffler is about the only thing that is gonna change the sound to the way you like it.

Im having the same problem i have a procharger and longtube headers no cats with a flowmaster 40 series dumped before the rear axle. Im thinking of trying a big magnaflow but not sure yet.

I ordered a thunderbolt SS muffler that looks like a manaflow and it is longer. I do not have true duals . One 3inch inlet and two 2 1/2 outlets. I dont know if true duals would help as it still has to cross over at some point to the passanger side or drop low to clear crossmember and tank. So I opt not to change that out.

I had a kerker 4 in to 1 and back in the old school days that was the way to go on a kaw 900

Well let me no what happens when you get it on if you don't mind. I havn't decided what to do yet ive been reading for a few months now and im leaning on putting an electric cutout on right after the Y-pipe and a long magnaflow single in dual out and dropping them down right before the rear bumper, well see though.

New muffler came in Stainless thunderbolt(looks like magnaflow) its body is 18" in length. Center 3" dia (one in) and two 2 1/2 out. Sweet , very very low drone. It cut out raspy sound. Has a deep rumble, no rackoff and no headache and is not apt to get you a ticket for noise. Not really loud at all.

How is it at 70 miles an hour cruising
After 60 very low noise inside. Outside with hard accleration gets loud but not raspy. I do have a drone but not a headache type. It is not that bad. It has a limited rpm range before 60 and goes almost completely away. I hope that it doesnt get louder.