Slpi Yoke "special" Grease

elcompalaline

Hey fellas, wanted to get under the truck and grease the slip yoke. This has been happening on the truck lately ( Click here!), I have already crawled under it and there is no play in the shaft or u-joints. I am aware that GM uses "special grease" but is there a product out there that will do the job just fine. I'm looking for something available at a local auto parts store or dealer at a decent price. Any suggestions ???

P.S.- Sorry for misspelling on the Post Title :D

Edited by elcompaLalo (see edit history)

Oh yeah, as long as the label on the grease says "hi pressure" like lithium grease or the like it'll work just fine; if you want to be conservative about the maintenance I would service the slip yoke every time you change rear-end lube, 30-40K miles :dunno: That is also a good time to check the U-joints. The important thing is to make sure that there is no dirt/dust in the splines, clean with a rag wetted with some sort of degreaser or even cheap lacquer thinner, and you don't need a lot of grease on the splines, just enough to make a thin 'film', you don't need big globs of grease in there! Also apply a thin film of grease on the outside of the slip yoke so that it does not burn the tailhousing seal.

Mr. P. :)