Which Hids

eagledax

I was looking through the forum and some other sites and the best that I can figure is that the 6000 HIDs seem to be the most popular. I want to upgrade to the HIDs and was wondering what the advantage is to the 6000 over the 10000 or the 12000. Also if anyone has suggestions on where to order then it would be appreciated as well.

The 6000K HIDs are closer to stock color. Stock is actually about 4300K. The 10000 or 12000K ones will have a more purple tint to them. Depending on your state the 10000 or 12000K HIDs may be enough to warrant trouble from the PoPo. Also the blue /purple tint to the lights will make night driving more difficult, the light tends to blend in with the night causing you eyes to work harder during extended driving.

:flag:

The 6000K HIDs are closer to stock color. Stock is actually about 4300K. The 10000 or 12000K ones will have a more purple tint to them. Depending on your state the 10000 or 12000K HIDs may be enough to warrant trouble from the PoPo. Also the blue /purple tint to the lights will make night driving more difficult, the light tends to blend in with the night causing you eyes to work harder during extended driving.

:withstupid: I had 4300k hids here a few years ago but they were some cheap of ebay shit. I want to try HIDS again but I will be ordering from WickedOsix this time around and going 6000k.

order from wickedowesix, and iirc the 6000 are more blue, the 10000 are bright white

:withstupid: Its actually the other way around... 6000K is a white coler with a tint of bluish/purple, where as the 10000K are blue with a purpleish tint

I was looking through the forum and some other sites and the best that I can figure is that the 6000 HIDs seem to be the most popular. I want to upgrade to the HIDs and was wondering what the advantage is to the 6000 over the 10000 or the 12000. Also if anyone has suggestions on where to order then it would be appreciated as well.

You want the 4300's or 6000's - the 10K & 12K will get you pulled over eventually, they are 'blue-purple' and 'purple' in color. The HID bulbs will change color after about 6-months, the color of HID bulbs goes up about 1000-K or more depending on the quality of metal salts in the bulbs. The 6000's will be bright-white to begin with, but will definitely 'blue' with age, this is normal all HID bulbs do this including the OEMs. I have HIDs both high and low beam and the difference is so big now you can really tell with the high beams on, I need new low-beam bulbs. If I were to do both sets again at the same time I would actually get the 4300s because in time they will get more like 5300-5500 in color after 6-12 months.

Also, if you do HID high-beams don't forget to do the 4-beam headlight diode mod.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I am running 8300k bulbs with Hella ballasts. If the police in your area are pretty relaxed, they may not hassle you for the lights. The purple (12000k) ones actually look pinkish purple and depending on the bulbs you get that are between 8000k and 10000k, the blue will be different from each manufactuer because of the different gases they use in the bulbs. Look for a good kit, with warranty, and good reviews. wickedowesix seems to be an outstanding guy, and although I do not have a set of his lights, I am sure if you went with him and ever had any trouble with the kit, he would def help you out!

You want the 4300's or 6000's - the 10K & 12K will get you pulled over eventually, they are 'blue-purple' and 'purple' in color. The HID bulbs will change color after about 6-months, the color of HID bulbs goes up about 1000-K or more depending on the quality of metal salts in the bulbs. The 6000's will be bright-white to begin with, but will definitely 'blue' with age, this is normal all HID bulbs do this including the OEMs. I have HIDs both high and low beam and the difference is so big now you can really tell with the high beams on, I need new low-beam bulbs. If I were to do both sets again at the same time I would actually get the 4300s because in time they will get more like 5300-5500 in color after 6-12 months.

Also, if you do HID high-beams don't forget to do the 4-beam headlight diode mod.

Mr. P. :)

:withstupid: I've got the same set up but with 5000K bulbs hi and low with the diode mod. I've had mine for over a year now. Never knew or noticed that the bulbs have changed color. Only problem I've had is I had to replace the ballasts for the low beams (one burnt out.) Went with the 55W slim ballasts. I like th eslim ballasts more, they are considerably smaller which gives you more mounting options. I still use the location I originally put the ballasts in, in a bracket hanging from the radiator support brace. Removed one 10mm bolt installed the bracket and reinstalled the bolt. Hides the ballast nicely and I didn't have to drill any holes.

Mr.P is right the difference is awesome. Even with the low beams only, but with the highs I can see anything.