How Long Should Water Pump Last?

Super Silverado

Just curious.....

I have an '03 with 82,000 miles. I am probably moving to Phoenix, AZ next spring, and I want to make sure everything is good on my truck, I'd hate to get stuck in the no mans land between San Antonio and ElPaso. (i'm in Houston)

I am probably just being a worry wart as my truck is and has been running perfect. Also, what would the typical lifespans of the alternator, fuel pump, and starter?

Thanks for your time guys, hope I am not testing your patience too much with my moronic questions, lol.

Just curious.....

I have an '03 with 82,000 miles. I am probably moving to Phoenix, AZ next spring, and I want to make sure everything is good on my truck, I'd hate to get stuck in the no mans land between San Antonio and ElPaso. (i'm in Houston)

I am probably just being a worry wart as my truck is and has been running perfect. Also, what would the typical lifespans of the alternator, fuel pump, and starter?

Thanks for your time guys, hope I am not testing your patience too much with my moronic questions, lol.

That's a pretty tough question. I don't think there is really an answer there for you. It all depends on how you drive the truck and maintain it and how lucky you are with it. Some people have had major problems and others go 100k without hardly anything going wrong. If you are stock and take care of the truck and everything seems to be running fine, then you should be ok.

I know a lot of these pumps lasting over 125K-miles, a lot of it has to do with taking care of the coolant as it is also the lubricant for the seal and bearing. One of the key reasons for the long life is the serpentine belt, because of the calibrated/engineered spring tensioner there isn't too much side-load on the pulley/bearing.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious.....

I just replaced mine this week, only 55k miles, found the gasket on the drivers side leaking, not the actual pump itself.