Trans Swap?

Anything *is* possible... but to do this not only would you have to swap transmissions you also would need to swap computers because the PCM in your truck cannot run the 6-speed auto transmissions. And that would mean you would have to swap out almost the entire wiring harness of the truck including gauges as well as install a 58-tooth reluctor wheel in your engine.

I always hoped that since the 6-speed autos had a separate TCM that GM would make an extra interface box, that way you could program your PCM as a non-automatic vehicle, and let the 6-speed manage itself. But I'm sure the Obama administration has put that idea very low on it's todo list.

Mr. P.

Anything *is* possible... but to do this not only would you have to swap transmissions you also would need to swap computers because the PCM in your truck cannot run the 6-speed auto transmissions. And that would mean you would have to swap out almost the entire wiring harness of the truck including gauges as well as install a 58-tooth reluctor wheel in your engine.

I always hoped that since the 6-speed autos had a separate TCM that GM would make an extra interface box, that way you could program your PCM as a non-automatic vehicle, and let the 6-speed manage itself. But I'm sure the Obama administration has put that idea very low on it's todo list.

Mr. P.

Always doing great writes :thumbs: I would have just said it can be done, but it's a lot of work and a pita :jester:

I doubt the president has much to do with a trans control module. Even in the past with the GM trans controllers they waited until someone else did it before working on it themselves. GM has put little to no money into their GM Performance Parts division as of recent and has even canceled the release of some projects that they had already spent time and money into development of. That's a nice way to waste some money. The 6L80E trans can be done as Mr. P said if you want to put the work into it. To give you an idea take a look at the 6L80E install Speartech did. They also did a motor swap since it was easier to run a Gen IV engine with the E38 controller than a Gen III. The cost to gain ratio doesn't make it worth it though.