Learned My Lesson

Friday morning on the way to work, I tossed the serpentine belt from the radix onto the middle of the road. I usually had been carrying a spare but had taken it out a couple weeks ago when cleaning up the truck. I went to pass another vehicle on a 6 lane road with median at about 50mph. Caught the 3-2downshift, ran it up to about 70ish and let out of it quickly, heard the pop, steering wheel went dead, DIC started flashing battery not charging messages, and looked in the rearview mirror to see the belt bouncing in the road getting run over by traffic. Lost my power steering and alternator, barely made it into the next parking lot. Had to call AAA to take it home and put the new belt on. A first I thought it might have been the tensioner breaking, which I have read is somewhat common, but luckily, it was just the belt.

Had the same thing happen to me once on the highway in traffic. I barely made it over to the shoulder. From that day forward, I always carried some hand tools and 2 belts just in case. Afterall it would be my luck :jester:

Good thing you made it and it was nothing major!

I've been there as well. Good thing was that I could get to the belt and put it back on (with no tools, just hands). Once it happens once, you know exactly what happens when it throws the belt the next time. Its unmistakable.