Computer Question?

BOB47

My wife bought me a machine that is supposed to transfer all my cassettes to our computer. What I don't understand is that it says it makes them all MP3 files. My question is, if I save them all as MP3 files on my computer can I then burn them to CDs so I can listen to them in the truck or do i have to get a MP3 player? :confused:

Thanks for any help.

Tracks on a commercial audio CD are actually WAV files; when you copy (rip) a track from a CD to your computer it is WAV format. WAV files are huge, because they contain every bit of sound information that was captured at the recording studio.

MP3 files are converted WAV files - using fancy math extra bits of sound information that the human ear cannot hear is dropped from the recording, and then further compressed - this amount of compression can vary according to the settings used in the conversion process but any MP3 file that has a streaming rate of 192K per second or higher is considered CD quality and will be 1/10th the size of the original WAV file. But when a MP3 file is played back, the player has to decode the MP3 into WAV on the fly, then send that signal to the amplifier/speakers.

So to play MP3s you need to have a deck that is "MP3 compatible" - to play in your original CD player, you need to have your computer convert the MP3s to regular CD audio tracks (WAVs) during the burn process to be recognized. The advantage to MP3s is that they still sound really good if the bitrate is high enough, and you can get 8-10x more music on a CD.

Mr. P. :)