I can't decide what muffler to get.

i am going to call Bassani and see what they have to say. maybe they can sell me a 2 in/out 2 muffler for a good price and if they cant maybe i will call B&B and see if they will sell me just a muffler and if they woun't then i guess i will go with a magnaflow.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off...Let your NEW motor break in some. Figure out what you want from the ss in terms of performance and do some research. See what is going to meet your particular goals reliably. Once you have a plan in place. Follow it thru and stick with the plan. That way hopefully you wont be getting another motor again in the near future. As hard as it is....Be patient! Listen and Learn. No disrespect intended and I do wish you good luck. :thumbs::seeya:

Im tryin but its really hard.

So yall think I should just keep saving up for the STS? Or should I beef up my tranny right now?

And yes I am going to break in my engine before doing anything major to it.

I have used flowmasters in every chevy I have owned, and love them. Resonance is music to my ears, if i want a chevy that does not have to have resonance i will buy me a little cavalier or something like that. as far as flowmaster being "the worsty flowing exhaust" I don't think so, matter of opinion though. Guys is "worsty" a word? :flag:

:seeya:

I recall seeing a thread on LS1Tech where someone did a flow bench comparison of several popular mufflers. Sorry I don't have time to dig it up right now. The results...

- Magnaflow and Hooker mufflers flowed the best.

- Flowmaster was the worst, only slightly better than stock.

But, were talking about a difference of like 10% between the best and worst flowing mufflers in that test. So, if you are more concerned about a particular sound or look, get whatever muffler/exhaust you prefer. If you are strictly concerned with performance gains, I'd suggest Magnaflow or Hooker based on flow bench numbers.

:cheers:

Installed my magnaflow muffler today, I already installed asm headers with 3" pipes to the muffler with no cats a little loud but sounds good.

Just curious how you did 3" pipe from a 2.5" collector? Did you use a reducer?

Man, there sure are a lot of opinions on mufflers around here. Problem is most of them sound like unproven personal tastes, and opinions. Check out the proof on the websites and compare flow.

I have read several comparison tests, seen hoards of dyno sheets on Flowmaster, and they ARE the best flowing performance muffler on the market. Several others have better flow rates at specific rpm levels, but the Flowmaster owns the show overall.

Granted, the Flowmaster sound may not be the favorite of all the choices, but it has a sporty hod rod sound, and that is what "most" of us are after. If you install a 50 Series dynoflow with mandrel bent tailpipes you won't find a better flowing system, and it isn't that much louder at cruise speed than stock. On acceleration they sound sweet.

Be open minded and check into them before busting on them. I don't think some of you guys are giving them the benefit of the doubt. Given the chance, they will work for you!

:flag:

:chevy: Try the Flowmaster 70 series - The exhaust flow is real close to that of the 50 series - with a lot less interior noise - and it still sounds pretty good when you get in the throttle. I went with the 50 series and sometimes in a residential neighborhood, it is a little loud in the cab.. (never loud enough to make me want less)....

The Delta Flow is supposed to be their "respectable" muffler. The DeltaFlow is designed to reduce interior resonance. You really don't give up enough flow to feel the diff... the numbers may show it, but if you don't like resonance, isn't that a small price to pay?

The Super 40's are the best flowing muffler they make. They have the original Flowmaster sound that I just love, but they are a little loud with high horsepower input.

I had a 1969 Camaro with Flowmasters on it and it sounded completely different than my 91 Silverados with the TBI 350 V8.

Still don't think a person could go wrong with Flowmasters. :thumbs:

Archived