Moderator Question

fast4popper

TOTM has always been weird since it started back when I proposed the idea, but that isn't my job to work out. I do understand where you're comin from though. It has seemed a bit dead lately, but it's the holidays and not many people are on here because they are probably with their families. That and the economy is in the sh!tter and no one is doing anything to the SS to talk about. I wish the site would get a make over though. Something a bit more appealing, change the colors and layout. Add some sections like fabrication or split other one's into paint and body or specifics :dunno: I do miss the garage and member locator map from back in the day :sigh:

ive noticed a big drop in site population after they took the shout box out, say what you want but i believe that had allot to do with it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive noticed a big drop in site population after they took the shout box out, say what you want but i believe that had allot to do with it.

I beg to differ.. That damn shout box was not here when I started and thats when the site was really great :cheers:

a few of the top sites around are all falling. many of the sites are losing ppl to the other sites because of boredom and lack of support. too much fighting and not enough help. i agree chris 100% but i find myself going to other websites for help or just getting on the phone for help.

just saying.

IMO the site lag has nothing to do with the shoutbox being here or not...All the sites have slowed and some have chats and others don't...I think its the economy...People are losing jobs and don't have money to spend on their trucks etc...therefore reducing the need to be on a site.

The funny part, not a single MOD has posted yet....

You said it... have there been on Mods on since this started? shoot I dont even know who the mods are anymore...

I figured with me starting this, it would get the usual negative attn that i usually get.

Membership is key compared to mods.

Though, I would like to see the events/gatherings/ralleys broken down to specific areas if not to the state level. I have recently returned from a long vacation, but that is because I am back into modding the truck a little before I get into more trouble.

WTH it's New Years, I'll put in my two cents.

This is a long post, and I'm going to preface this, I personally have built a successful virtual community (in professional rodeo) that has been measured last year with a $11B GDP; what that means is that if you take the entire gross domestic product of the United States, $11B of it is generated from the team roping community (USTRC) which my father and I built over 20-years. Our virtual community is not a few thousand truck enthusiasts, but 140,000 *paying* members on 4 continents and is still growing at 1.8% per year. My point of stating my experience here is to put everyone on notice that I can authoritatively speak about this subject because I've done it; as they say back home, you can B.S. the fans, but you're not gonna B.S. one of the players. That being said -

I tell this story to my kids, and I've shared it with a few friends too and it's relevant. If you will allow me, it cuts through the bullsh!t and gets to the meat of the matter.

2-months ago I sold my first car; it was a 1970 Formula Firebird, and I had it in my posession almost 20-years. The first 4-years I owned the car I took literally every cent I earned and put it into that car, because at the time doing so was important to me. 6-years later I split the transmission in half, and at the time I was broke so the car sat while I promised myself that someday I would fix it. And over the next 10-years wherever I moved I took the broken car with me, there never seemed to be enough money or time or space or whatever to fix it; but during that time I raised kids, had a marriage and family, put tens of thousands of $$$ into the SSS - but the car just remained in storage, tombstoned in a state of arrested decay. It wouldn't have taken much to fix the car, it would have been a trivial project and at most only taken a couple thousand dollars, hell I've spent 5-times that on the transmission in the SSS alone so it's not like I didn't have the cashflow. I dreamed of driving the car again, I remember blasting through the gears.

BUT, in the end when you put all the BS thinking aside, the inescapable fact is this - no matter what the 'reasons' were (valid or not, good or bad, right or wrong) the Firebird never got fixed because it just wasn't important to me; or to be more fair, it wasn't as important to me as other those other things in my life (kids, the SSS, friends, work, etc).

You guys keep asking for reasons why the website owners (Silikhan Publishing) behave as they do - you need to get beyond doing that, and realize the explainations don't matter because the reason why is always the same regardless - it's just not important to them.

The answer is always the same!

Why is there no user locator?

It's not important to them, not important enough to do what it takes to make it happen.

Why is there no garage?

It's not important to them, not important enough to do what it takes to make it happen.

Why is there no shoutbox/chat?

Why is there no functioning TOTM promotion/program?

Why aren't inactive moderators retired and qualified, serious, active participants put in their places?

Why have site owners stopped participating on the forum themselves?

And on, and on, and on. AD INFINITEM. None of these issues are new; if any of these matters were truly important to the owners of the site, they would have quit their day jobs and devoted whatever resources were required to make these things happen. Like me with my Firebird, they (like you) dream of a kickass website with uber-cool gizmos and functionality, but at the end of the day it's just not THAT important to them, not important enough to totally realign their lives to make these things happen.

So what IS important to the site owners? Well, I am not going to speculate but I will suggest that all you have to do is observe the actions of others, because where they devote their time and money will point out what is important to them.

And just so I don't appear elitist, let's turn God's spotlight on me - why don't *I* repeat what I did for rodeo and create another virtual community with magazines, memberships, tens of events every week all over the nation? Because I have already lived and seen the personal costs required to achieve that, what it does to family and your personal life, and right now that's just not important enough to me to do what it would take to make it happen.

:rant:

OK well Happy New Truck Year!

Mr. P. :)

I am saying:

keep on things...

maybe some new places for posts. shoot I dont know. just something, I am finding myself on here 2 to 3 times a day and there rarely isnt any changes to topics.

this quote answers this statement:

IMHO the mods don't control the tempo of the site so to speak.... Rather the members that are on here.

also quote this for TRUTH!!!

:pop:

-Rob

I believe a good mod CAN control the tempo ... take into account Steve's post ... Get some one in power who gives a shit and has the fire and things will change. A motivated mod could start up discussions ... post new topics to get people involved more than just +1. Get some how-to's in order and pull/push some info from the qualified members. Organize some events ... give people a reason to visit the site. Having drawings for free stuff from vendors ... been an ear for members to voice their opinions and suggestions to and then actually do something about it. Work vendors to get group buys for our members ... actively work to make the site better.

Its easy for someone who give a shit.

and......................+1 Steve's comments.

I believe a good mod CAN control the tempo ... take into account Steve's post ... Get some one in power who gives a shit and has the fire and things will change. A motivated mod could start up discussions ... post new topics to get people involved more than just +1. Get some how-to's in order and pull/push some info from the qualified members. Organize some events ... give people a reason to visit the site. Having drawings for free stuff from vendors ... been an ear for members to voice their opinions and suggestions to and then actually do something about it. Work vendors to get group buys for our members ... actively work to make the site better.

Its easy for someone who give a shit.

and......................+1 Steve's comments.

This man is on the right track, if only someone would step up to the plate. :fingersx:

Edited by elcompaLalo (see edit history)

The funny part, not a single MOD has posted yet....

What kind of reply are you looking for? What would be a "correct" reply to this thread?

You said it... have there been on Mods on since this started? shoot I dont even know who the mods are anymore...

Yes Chris, "Mods" have read this post. May I request why this thread is obviously intentionally directed toward Moderators and the bad job they, sorry, WE are doing?