Awd Dynoed/ Driven In 2wd

turboed ss

It can be dynoed with the front drive shaft un hooked but Do not drive it this way and do not shift it into nuetral after the dyno run is completed .

Ok please explain y... b/c i have to pull my shaft and fuse before getting onto the dyno but once im on we tune it then back up off the dyno does it not matter that im shifting past nuetral???

Ok please explain y... b/c i have to pull my shaft and fuse before getting onto the dyno but once im on we tune it then back up off the dyno does it not matter that im shifting past nuetral???

This is what i heave hear/read. Shifting into N after a dyno pull will destroy the T-case with the truck deaccelerating if the front drive shaft is removed. Why i do not know. As far as driving it with the front drive shaft removed pulling on and off of a dyno should be fine as many people have done it but would not under any surcimstances drive one out on the road with it removed or could damage the front diff and cv joints. Again what i have been told. Im shure someone else will chime in with a little more info.

and how does driving it differ from dynoing it?

A quick sprint and shut down on the dyno is much different then driving on the street........read the following quote, it answers your question.....

It will put the t-case into full lock because it will detect slippage since the front drive shaft is disconnected and the fluid coupler will over heat and destroy it self.

and how does driving it differ from dynoing it?

Yes you can dyno your truck with the front driveshaft off, I have done it to my truck as well as other on the site. There is no fuse to pull on an AWD truck.... if you drive it on the street, when you come to a stop, the rear shaft will be stoped and the front shaft output will be spinning causing all of the fore mention problems. when you are on the dyno alway keep the rear wheel rolling and when your are comming to a stop to retune, as soon as the rear wheel come to a stop put the trans in park and shut down, if you don't, you will encounter the same problem as if driving.

...Just adding to the thread. When I was on the dyno I accidentally hit the gear shifter into N after the pull at about 150MPH (Don't ask) and the truck freewheeled. Scared the crap out of me however everything held together.

Another thing is to keep an eye on your tires. My first time on the dyno with the truck, I had the stock Goodyears and they deformed terribly at the high speeds (over 120). I had to let someone else run the truck so I could get a look. I didn't dyno on the stock rubber after that...I should have video'd it for everyone...scary.

What about dyno tuning part throttle this way? Obviously, it is low load, but much longer periods of time? I'm referring to a mustangdyno and loading the vehicle at different speeds....

Mustang dynos are not load bearing dynos, they are inertia I think... but yes that can be done... My truck held over 550lbft of torque to the rear wheels with no problems... The key thing to remember is to not let the TC distribute power to an axle that is not there. if the rear wheels are stopped, the engine is still engaged to the trans in gear, the trans sends power to the TC and the TC distributes the power to both axles, if the front one is not hooked up, the front output shaft will spin causing the TC to sent power to the "NON" sliping tires, the rear ones... this is when the problems start.

Ah, that makes sense.

My thinking/question revolved around if running it WOT (ft d/s removed) would generate a decent amount of heat, but it was ok because of the short timeframe.......would running it part throttle for 5 or 10 minutes at tune part throttle be an issue. Seems like it might generate too much heat that way???

Thanks for the discussion and I hope I'm not hijacking this thread---I just thought it would add one more element to the discussion. Thanks.

Mustang dynos are not load bearing dynos, they are inertia I think... but yes that can be done... My truck held over 550lbft of torque to the rear wheels with no problems... The key thing to remember is to not let the TC distribute power to an axle that is not there. if the rear wheels are stopped, the engine is still engaged to the trans in gear, the trans sends power to the TC and the TC distributes the power to both axles, if the front one is not hooked up, the front output shaft will spin causing the TC to sent power to the "NON" sliping tires, the rear ones... this is when the problems start.

What about dyno tuning part throttle this way? Obviously, it is low load, but much longer periods of time? I'm referring to a mustangdyno and loading the vehicle at different speeds....

You should be fine. I had my SSS on the dyno for about 3 hours one day a few years ago, using it to for various tests and tuning. That was about 25k miles ago and zero issues have popped up.