What Kind Of Gas Mileage Are You Guys Seeing?

powell.lucky13@gmail.com

As you all know, I bought my truck while I was still in Iraq back in August. It already had an aftermarket (but crappy) CAI, and 3" exhaust. I arranged to have the Black Bear tune sent for and installed before I ever even laid eyes on my truck in September. When I picked it up at the airport, I fooled around with the steering wheel buttons and brought up the MPG AVG display: 14.3 MPG. Well, it's only gone down from there. I've always been a very fuel-efficient driver (and in my SS I've been as efficient as possible, lol) and from the airport I immediatly made the 12+ hour drive to Fort Riley, Kansas. By the time I got there, I was looking at about 13.5 MPG AVG. After a couple months there, a brand new Volant CAI, and another drive back to the great commonwealth of Kentucky, I am now looking at a 13.3 MPG AVG. This never seems to change regardless of hwy driving, city driving, whatever. I ran 91 octane in KS and now that i'm home I've run nothing but 93. Is this right? Does it have anything to do with the tune? How far back in the driving history does the SS CPU go to find the current "average?" The last 24 hours? Week? LIFE?!?!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you all know, I bought my truck while I was still in Iraq back in August. It already had an aftermarket (but crappy) CAI, and 3" exhaust. I arranged to have the Black Bear tune sent for and installed before I ever even laid eyes on my truck in September. When I picked it up at the airport, I fooled around with the steering wheel buttons and brought up the MPG AVG display: 14.3 MPG. Well, it's only gone down from there. I've always been a very fuel-efficient driver (and in my SS I've been as efficient as possible, lol) and from the airport I immediatly made the 12+ hour drive to Fort Riley, Kansas. By the time I got there, I was looking at about 13.5 MPG AVG. After a couple months there, a brand new Volant CAI, and another drive back to the great commonwealth of Kentucky, I am now looking at a 13.3 MPG AVG. This never seems to change regardless of hwy driving, city driving, whatever. I ran 91 octane in KS and now that i'm home I've run nothing but 93. Is this right? Does it have anything to do with the tune? How far back in the driving history does the SS CPU go to find the current "average?" The last 24 hours? Week? LIFE?!?!

it depends on how often you reset the fuel calculator Roger. To be accurate you really want to reset it every time you fuel up. As for actual economy, I saw about 13.5 mpg city and 15-16 hwy before I got tuned by Justin. Now I get around 15 city and 18.5-19 hwy if I set the cruise at 65. Hope this helps.

Oh Shaun, how I've missed thee...

Yeah, I guess resetting the fuel calculator (as soon as I look in there and figure THAT thing out) would help. But still, I wonder why I'm seeing such low MPG even after the tune? Of course, I drive about 80 in the highway, and I know that's not in the "sweet spot" for fuel efficiency, but damnit, I need to be there and I need to be there NOW!!!

Mine says 13.1 - 13.2 at best. BUT, I dont drive my truck like you guys do everyday. I just figured everytime I do drive it, I drive it to get 8 mpg lol

Id try resetting it like Shaun said, see what happens

Oh Shaun, how I've missed thee...

Yeah, I guess resetting the fuel calculator (as soon as I look in there and figure THAT thing out) would help. But still, I wonder why I'm seeing such low MPG even after the tune? Of course, I drive about 80 in the highway, and I know that's not in the "sweet spot" for fuel efficiency, but damnit, I need to be there and I need to be there NOW!!!

yeah when we went to s.d. we set the cruise at 85-90 and got shit mileage, gotta have a tame footsie with 4:10 gears. as far as resetting the fuel calculator, just hold the return button on the lower right hand side of the steering wheel to reset.

ps: i miss you too :wub:

Mine says 13.1 - 13.2 at best. BUT, I dont drive my truck like you guys do everyday. I just figured everytime I do drive it, I drive it to get 8 mpg lol

Id try resetting it like Shaun said, see what happens

What??? You DRIVE yours?!?! :ninja::bs:

Pics or it didn't happen :lol:

What??? You DRIVE yours?!?! :ninja::bs:

Pics or it didn't happen :lol:

lol I know, I bet it has flat spots on the tires its been sittin so long. Hasnt moved for over two months, battery is done. And the way winter is goin, its gonna be another 3 months sad to say :uhoh:

lol I know, I bet it has flat spots on the tires its been sittin so long. Hasnt moved for over two months, battery is done. And the way winter is goin, its gonna be another 3 months sad to say :uhoh:

getting another 3-6" wednesday night Brian. If you want to ride in a SS to fill the void, I will come and pick you up (just don't get used to the horsepower)

getting another 3-6" wednesday night Brian. If you want to ride in a SS to fill the void, I will come and pick you up (just don't get used to the horsepower)

IMHO, thats fvcking GAMF. Might take you up on that, I like my R/T but its not cuttin it

Same as mine is. I dont give a sh!t about mpg as long as im by myself. It's throttle to the floor and balls to the wall every time i pull out. Cant get enough of that AWD acceleration specially since i got my wheatley tune. My wife not so much. lol