Subwoffer's Finally Installed!

So, last november I was looking at putting alittle more bass in my truck. After going to local shops I find a nice probox that would take 2 12's and fit nicely under the back seat. I luaghed my way out the door as I was quoted a $700 pricetag on the box sans subs and install. Sure enough I get on our favorite web site and find the exact same box with subs for sell by KevinTheGreat for only $250. Cant say enough good things about kevin, he worked with me alot, Gave me a great deal on the subs, and now that I have them in they sound awesome. We were able to make a deal where my sister who lives closely would pick them up for me.

This is where everything goes downhill.

My sister was planning on driving to Nc to visit me for thanksgiving and was gonna bring my subs with her in the back of her taho. Well the day that she goes to leave she and her husband stop by the bank to grab cash for the road, only to find out that the IRS put a levy on their account and took everything and also clamied that they owed a additional 13k. They immediatly call and found out it was a Giant error and the IRS was gonna return their money but it would take 5 days which was almost all the time they had to come see me, so the trip didnt work out. So I have subs but they are now stuck in OKC while im in Nc, No Bueno.

I find out my buddie from work is driving to dallas for the holidays so I catch a ride with him down and ask if would be alright if i bring my subs back on the return trip. He gives me the green light and everything goes as planned i get my subs down to dallas for the return trip and find that the box is almost wider then his xtera and with his holiday hual it wont fit inside. so we take the subs out put them inside and my box took a nice trip across country on the roof rack. At this point i would like to thank the Boy Scouts of America for all those nifty knots that have served me well all my life.

I get back to Nc, start the install. I read everywhere that the best place to install the suns is off the bose amp. I look all over this website and find a nice tutorial. I find a Great one with all the pictures you would need, except I CANT GET THEM TO LOAD! So i say duck it and with a buddy, in a barracks parking lot, on a cold night go for it. With out the picture help and only the description i start to attempt to find the bose amp. With absolute certainty I can tell you its not behind the head unit, under the front two light plugs, not under the front cup holders. it IS under the armrest but the best way to get at it is from behind the back cupholders. so now that my dash and everything is out of my truck I attempt to hook up the line in converter with a wiring diagram for a 04 SS. Im not saying that that wiring diagram doesnt exist but i sure couldn't find it. so i grab a 04 silverado one and hope for the best.

I Get everything hooked up, and thankfully everything works and it sounds great. Much to my buddies amazement I manage to get all my dash etc put back in correctly and now i just a few wires to clean up and im done. Im Thinking about posting a how to on the subject, not that the one i found was bad, just the author found a nifty line out converter that didnt involve and real wire splicing except for the remote. Ill take your opinions on if I should or not. Thanks for sticking through a long story i know, haha.

-Derick

Edited by DerickD (see edit history)

Just me, but I have a pair of subs with boxes and an amp sitting in the garage, I took them out of my old truck. Need to put them in the SS but just haven't gotten around to it. It would be useful to me if you did decide to do a how-to.

there are so many ways to do the install like that. u dont need to rip the dash if ur using a line out converter actually. u can tap into the rear speakers fairly close to ur amp so u dont have to run the rcas all the way back. thats for subs but for a 4 channel..... different story. now u do need to still get the remote from an ignition source (best is under steering column) and power. u can do all that without ever touching the factory radio.

JFYI!! lol

there are so many ways to do the install like that. u dont need to rip the dash if ur using a line out converter actually. u can tap into the rear speakers fairly close to ur amp so u dont have to run the rcas all the way back. thats for subs but for a 4 channel..... different story. now u do need to still get the remote from an ignition source (best is under steering column) and power. u can do all that without ever touching the factory radio.

JFYI!! lol

Hey Bob, i'm gonna do this type of install when it gets a little warmer. I have a box and single channel amp with some 8's. I would really appreciate someone doing a how to in the simplest fashion. I don't care who does it, but if it's not too much trouble it would be nice so i don't have to blaze my own trail. If no one is up for the how-to, i'll just hit one of you guys up when i do the work. Thanks for the posts. Mike

Tapping into the rear speakers doesn't put out enough to power the system with a converter. I tried it when I went back to my stock radio. I had to tap into the wires coming out of the amp under the console. If you remove the bucket inside the console and the rear part of it, you can get to them no problem.