Oil On A Hose Under The Truck

superslowss

Ok so I crawled under the truck today and notice a hose had a bit of oil about to drip off of it. It looks like the hose runs from the oil pan to the cooler up front. (See pic below) My question is....Is this cause for concern? I have never noticed a drop of oil on the driveway so it cannot be leaking bad at all. Also there is a part of the frame that rests below the hose and it is not covered in oil at all. Now, mind you the truck has almost 124k miles on it and I have never noticed it before.

I also clean it to look like new and I will probably check it at the end of the week to see if anymore oil is leaking.

Im also not low on oil...Phew..

100_1435.jpg

3 things certain in life - death, taxes, and leaking external oil cooler hoses. They all weep a little oil, I don't know of a truck that doesn't. Don't wait a week to inspect, check after a day or two, see if the leak is coming from the joint where the metal tubing attaches to the rubber line, or it if is dripping from the attachment plate just above the oil filter; if the leak is at the engine block then you can probably replace the gasket, but if the leak is coming from the swedged fitting where the rubber line meets the steel tubing then you need to replace the whole oil line.

Mr. P. :)

PS - check one other thing, make sure that the oil isn't power steering fluid that has worked it's way down to collect on the oil cooler line and 'puddle' on the underside; you might have a power steering pump leak.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

3 things certain in life - death, taxes, and leaking external oil cooler hoses. They all weep a little oil, I don't know of a truck that doesn't. Don't wait a week to inspect, check after a day or two, see if the leak is coming from the joint where the metal tubing attaches to the rubber line, or it if is dripping from the attachment plate just above the oil filter; if the leak is at the engine block then you can probably replace the gasket, but if the leak is coming from the swedged fitting where the rubber line meets the steel tubing then you need to replace the whole oil line.

Mr. P. :)

PS - check one other thing, make sure that the oil isn't power steering fluid that has worked it's way down to collect on the oil cooler line and 'puddle' on the underside; you might have a power steering pump leak.

Thanks Mr.P! I will def check it tomorrow if it is not pouring down rain :( ... I will also check the PS fluid level real quick and give you an update on that :thumbs:

Edit: PS fluid is fine

Edited by SuperSlowSS (see edit history)

Most likely that crimped fitting on the oil cooler lines, mine did that exact same thing and left my driveway looking like a Leopard. I wound up replacing the lines because I was so annoyed......

Just checked it after a trip to the store and that is exactly what it is... Coming from the top where to fitting is. How hard would it be to replace it? Can I just get one of those that you tighten with a screw driver and just run a longer piece of hose?

Thanks for all of the help guys! :cheers:

Mine would weep a little around the crimps. When I installed my 408, I just used a block off plate on the side of the motor and deleted the cooler lines. Cleaned it up on the already cramped driver's side as well.

Mine is leaking from those fittings too. The part number for the engine oil cooler lines is 15203890, autozone and NAPA have them.

Another alternative is replacing the ferrel on the hose. Danny (sprayed99) said a place that makes hoses can replace the ferrels. The ferrels are around .30¢ ea. + whatever the shop charges to put them on.

I had that same problem on my LT1 buick roadmaster, I ended up taking the hoses off and bringing them into my local napa. They have a hydraulic hose repair shop. I had them build me a set of custom lines CHEAPER than the junk dorman replacements. The lines were about twice as thick as they were meant to handle about 1200 psi of hydraulic presssure. That solved the problem permanently :)