Can A 10" Sub Out Peform Two 12's

alex.t

ok guys this would be only applications in our trucks or a extended cab truck. considering the space we have under the rear seat would a good quality ten inch sub with a slightly bigger box out perform two 12" w3's in quite abit smaller boxes. anybody with experience or knowledge in this subject please chime in cus i would consider selling my new w3's for a unreal 10" if this is so.

Edited by 03silv.ss (see edit history)

Yes it can with the right tuning, enclosure, and equipment. However, the 12"s hit more of a range than a 10" would. You would some low bass running a 10" sub. IMO, if you are looking for something that hits with good range and the limited space in the SS, do a ported box with a 12" sub. Make sure you have ample airspace and as much room as you can behind the woofer. It'll hit harder. I tried 2 POS Pioneer subs that sat down about 7" and then the low profile ones. And the low pros banged man.

its all about install , install and install. my recomendation would be to do a single jl w7, the seat will need to be raised a small amount though. the w7 subs have been out for nearing 8 years and still are very impressive. they can produce great spl and sql , response is great with them . the w7's also act as a bigger woofer than they are since they mount on the inside of the cone .

yes they can as chase said its all about the install.

I have a single 8" L7 kicker solobarac and it hits very hard tried a 10 but its still kinda big but its what you like and want

here are pics of mine

100_0250.jpg

100_0251.jpg

100_0252.jpg

100_0253.jpg

100_0254.jpg

100_0255.jpg

100_0256.jpg

ya i woldnt go smaller then a 10 inch. ive had two 12 inch w3s for a year now. and recently i had them off for about a month or two because of recent problems. but i ordered a new memphis amp and hooked them up this wknd and dont really like how they sound, maybe i need to do some more fine tuning but maybe im looking for that different sound which could be a bigger ported box not to sure rigth now.

I'll stick with my 8's. but yes, a single 10 could easily out perform a pair of 12's.

as for JL being the answer, i beg to differ. they will all do extremely well when installed properly. weather it be JL, Kicker, BOSS, or whatever. install it, and power it properly, and you will be extremly happy. I perfer MTX, but hey, thats just me

mcmahan do you know the specs on that box because i think that would be a great box maybe a little bit bigger for a 12 though. also is the seat raised in yours.

i do not have the specs for it sry Travis (uncald4) has them he designed the box

my seat isnt raised its just like it came from the showroom

the seat is 10" off the floor so idk if a 12 will fit and get good air space also tried a 10" and it was a tad to big to i found that a L7 solbarac is the best fit being square

ya i saw another box on here today but cant find the pic again it was super nice and had rounded corners but it was for two twelves, it had like leather on the top . ill see if i can find it and post it up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/4doortunerz/001-1.jpg

this is the one it was for two tens and thought this looks unreal, im wondering how it ended up sounding ? and if theres any pics with the seat up

Edited by 03silv.ss (see edit history)

My favorite most accurate sounding box I've ever had in my truck was 2 6 1/2's in a specially designed 4th order horn loaded band pass box. it was the most accurate bass I have ever had, and blended with my highs very well, but if you want low exaggerated bass go bigger. Personally I have that now with 4 sealed 10's under my back seat and I would rather have flat accurate bass over show off any day!

BTW I really like digital designs and you would not be disapointed in them!

ya i saw another box on here today but cant find the pic again it was super nice and had rounded corners but it was for two twelves, it had like leather on the top . ill see if i can find it and post it up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/4doortunerz/001-1.jpg

this is the one it was for two tens and thought this looks unreal, im wondering how it ended up sounding ? and if theres any pics with the seat up

That is my box! It does have 2 tens & I also would love to know how it sounds but my installer moved to New Jersey! lol I need a new headunit & some 0 gauge wire for the amp I am using! Hopefully soon I'll have it up & going but my amp install isn't gonna be anywhere near as nice as it was going to be with Chris's help.

Here is a shot with the seat up for ya...

008.jpg

010-1.jpg

004.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-3.jpg

Edited by yttaf (see edit history)

a 10' sub can out perform a 12' sub. The problem with 10's or 8's is they can not reproduce the bass a 12' sub can. I had two MTX 10's and they sounded great but the other 12's I've had seem to produce deeper bass and I missed that. That's why I've been thinking of going with some shallow mount 12's.It's all about what you like. I know people who have had 8's that love them. It's all about what you like and making sure the box and amp fits the specs of your sub. a great sub in a bad box and cheap amp is a waste IMO. Do it right or expect it to fail your expectations. :cheers: