4th Gear Servo --- Billet?

YES the outer cover IS part of the 4th/OD servo, and yes it is replaced. We have found the best servo package to be the Vette 2nd servo combined with the factory 4th/OD servo in combination with the carbonite band; if you are running a different band material you may benefit from different servos. On my truck we ARE considering a billet super-hold 4th/OD servo, we'll judge that on the transmission's next teardown.

Mr. P. :)

The trans I have has the stock 4th gear servo and carbonite band. The Toy shop did it. I called them this afternoon and they pretty much echoed what you just said. Thank you for the good advice and man I feel better now!!! I knew the billet 2nd servo wasn't all that (too harsh and what not), but I thought the billet 4th was the way to go.....

YES the outer cover IS part of the 4th/OD servo, and yes it is replaced. We have found the best servo package to be the Vette 2nd servo combined with the factory 4th/OD servo in combination with the carbonite band; if you are running a different band material you may benefit from different servos. On my truck we ARE considering a billet super-hold 4th/OD servo, we'll judge that on the transmission's next teardown.

im currently running both billet servos and love them but takes a minute to get used to 2nd gear because if you floor and let off before it changes gears it changes hard as shi# so you kinda have to adjust your driving habits so it doesnt do that

For most applications I would take Mr. P’s advice and stick with the Vette servo. When I ordered my FLT lvl 5, I had them add the billet servos and at first I zeroed out the adaptive learning like everyone suggests doing with a built unit, in which case it felt like someone was punching you in the kidneys every time it hit second. I ended up adding time back to the shifts to make it livable again. While I am happy with the end results, if I would have just let them put in the Vette servo, which they normally use, I would have probably been happier with the trans out off the crate.

...it felt like someone was punching you in the kidneys every time it hit second... [/font][/size]

That is BAD BAD BAD -

I got the same behavior from my first "professional" trans build, he used a Vette servo and it hit 2nd so hard that the motor literally sounded like someone grabbed it by the throat and choked it (stalling the motor). In the 4L60 when the 2nd servo hits that hard what happens is that the ANCHOR of the band will try to rip itself out of the case, you will in time ruin the case because the anchor hole becomes oblonged and elongated. The 2nd "attack" has to be tuned to be soft as possible without loosing time on the dragstrip; this CAN be achieved, and by 'soft' I am being relative here, our transmission calibrations don't shift like a Caddy by any means but they don't ruin your case either.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)