Header Bolt Removal

ok well the deal fell through with having someone remove my bolt from my head that broke off.

so what do i do???? i measured it and its BARELY not flush!!!! like almost flush but just barely off. so what should i do guys?? i HAVE to get it out and since its the last header bolt in the head i cant really get in there with a drill.....

:dunno:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barely flush as in it's recessed or sticking out slightly?

If I were you, I would remove the header and spray some penetrant oil on the broken bolt. If it's sticking out, try and get a pair of vice grips on it and remove it that way since you can't get a drill in there. If it's recessed in the head, you're gonna have to pull the head to use an easy out on it.

He's trying to say that there might be one thread sticking out of the head. IMO the head has to come off; there's just not enough room to get a drill in there to drill it out. Budget for head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, head bolts, coolant, and 1-day's labor; unexpected expenses may include having the exhaust flange resurfaced to remove any warping. Optional item to budget for if money permits is premium set of pushrods (if you are still running the stock ones) since the top-end will be apart. Oh, and one new header bolt.

Mr. P.

PS - lemme make a call to Jerry, he might have an experienced solution for this.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

sounds like the head is coming off to me... that sucks... just use some antiseeze next time

the bolt was broken off before i even touched the exhaust, i went to pull the manifold and it wasnt there. im gonna get a 90* drill attachment, drill a hole and use an easy out. if not ill pull the head

He's trying to say that there might be one thread sticking out of the head. IMO the head has to come off; there's just not enough room to get a drill in there to drill it out. Budget for head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, head bolts, coolant, and 1-day's labor; unexpected expenses may include having the exhaust flange resurfaced to remove any warping. Optional item to budget for if money permits is premium set of pushrods (if you are still running the stock ones) since the top-end will be apart. Oh, and one new header bolt.

Mr. P.

PS - lemme make a call to Jerry, he might have an experienced solution for this.

Ummmm you were ther when the cam went in right? that means it already has the good pushrods in it. Also if the bolt has a thread you can tig weld a bolt to the end and pull it out. If not the head has to come off. My father has no secret way to do this Steve he just drills it out and retaps it or helicoils it. An easy out very rarely works.

Ummmm you were ther when the cam went in right? that means it already has the good pushrods in it. Also if the bolt has a thread you can tig weld a bolt to the end and pull it out. If not the head has to come off. My father has no secret way to do this Steve he just drills it out and retaps it or helicoils it. An easy out very rarely works.

Thanks for clarifying, I did not remember exactly what Bob purchased in his cam upgrade. No I was not present when Bob's cam was upgraded.

I cannot remember how much room there is back there, if there's enough to get a Mig welder in place to weld on a nut; I'm thinking there might be but wondered if Jerry may on an odd chance have done a repair like this in the past and have attempted this exact repair before.

I've had good results with the "square" (Snap-On) easy-out, the "screw" type never works, total POS tool for the job. The secret is to drill as tiny a starter hole as you can dead center of the broken bolt (hard to do) and once established then step up the drill sizes until you have removed as much of the original bolt as possible without damaging the threads, then use the easy-out to remove what remains. Anyways has always worked for me but I've done it with the parts off the motor in the past, I cannot tell if there is room to use a 90-degree drill attachment. I guess we'll find out!

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Just my two cents but I have removed busted bolts in that spot at least a dozen times.

You dont have to pull the head .Best bet is to get a right angle drill and buy a short drill bit.

And get in there by removing the splash shield. Also heat the broken bolt with a small brazing

torch tip. Let cool a bit and remove with EZ-out heating it softens the factory lock tite on the bolt.

hope this helps you

this set of extractors has never, NEVER let me down. but of course you'll most likely have to remove the head since it is in such a tight spot.

20866.JPG

like P said the "screw" extractors suck, because all they do it expand the broken bolt creating a wedge, and once you break those off in the bolt...forget about it.

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

I have used this method (welding with extractor rod to a nut) many times with good success. I am a certified welder and it is easy to do for a novice. Since you have some thread left you won't have to build up the weld as much so you will have a better chance of getting more penetration on the nut. I can look and see if I have some laying around if you have access to a ARC welder. You can bend the rod so you can get into tight places with it to. just make sure you cover your firewall with something flame resistant and keep a fire extinguisher close by.

Here is the link to how to do it and how it works.

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/website/main...bolts_studs.pdf