Front Bumper Cover

bigvette

:chevy: Any of you guys having the same issues as I am --- Having nightmares geting the damned bug guts off of the front bumper cover.. This spring has been so wet that every bleeding Knat and Cicadia (sp) has hatched and seems to fall in Love with the front of my truck... Two weeks ago, Ihad to work late and left Jeg's at 9pm, (with the truck freshly cleaned at lunch) and by the time I arrived home (26 miles later) I could barely see throuh the windshield and the front bumper looked like a piece of 400 grit sandpaper.. Ihave just spent 4 hours with everything from gasoline and bug / tar remover to windex w/amonia, and the damned thing finally looks OK, (not near where I would like to see it) and I know by the time I get home tomorrow (from work) I'll have to start over again.. Anyone haveing any luck keeping theses critter guts to a minimum???? Ive even contemplated talking to our buyers to see if Cover Craft makes a "Bra" for the monster.. As bad I would hat to put one on my truck, I'm at a point that I don't want to have to replace it before it's time!!!!!! Thanks for your help.....

I don't have TOO hard of a time getting most of the bugs off, but I found that Wesleys Bleach White does a great job on the stubborn ones.

I honestly don't know if it's recommeded for paint or not. My bumper is scratched/damaged from an incident this past winter and still needs repainting or replacing, so it was no huge loss if anything went wrong. I have to say, I haven't seen ANY negative effects.

I hosed the big stuff off, washed as usual, lightly sprayed the bumper, and then washed again.

I know this is gonna sound weird, but try using WD40 on them. After you get it clean use a little on the frontal area before you hit the road. It will help the nasty critters release. Plus clean up afterwards is a breeze. You can also use PAM, but it attracts dust and isn't to my tastes!

I have been able to cut down on the bad bug splatter by using a good paste wax after every wash on the front bumper. A couple times a week I will use a detailer spray to clean the bugs off. I recently tries the Meguiar's paste wax and Quik Detailer spray with nice results.

I would seriously consider one of those clear film protector kits if I lived in a bad bug zone like bigvette describes.

I agree with the others - regular waxing will help the bugs come off easier. I wax the bumper, front grill, front edge of hood, and mirrors at least once a week if possible. You could try leaving an extra-buttery thick coat of wax on there for added protection.

Even with the film on the bugs will be hard to remove. Here is a product that I use and sell to customers its called Washwaxall made by aero cosmetics. You can get it if you search aero cosmetics. It is clearcoat safe nonabrasive and noncorsive and waterbased you can use it on windows, plastic, vinyl, fiberglass, gelcoat, porcelain,rubber, aluminum,stainless, gold, silver etc. It leaves an anti-static protective coating that repels dirt, moisture and the damaging effects of ultraviolet rays with out scrathing. Spray on. wipe with damp towel. dry with soft cotton towel before it dries. Doesnt leave any white residue. Can be used after you wash using same process as above. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I have several coats of Zaino on the leading edges and the friggin love bugs in Florida are still a major pain to get off. It takes hitting them with a high-pressure wand for several seconds each. Thinking of adding a sacrificial soft wax over the Zaino.

Bugs can be nasty to remove, but not impossible. The biggest problem is sometimes they hit so hard they actually implant into the clearcoat/paint (thus even if you remove all the remains there will still be a mark).

The cleaner I use is 1Z Insect & Tar Pre-Cleaner (ordered mine from autopia.org). The key to getting the guts off while minimizing the damage is to spray liberally with the cleaner and let it loosen them up. Don't go in immediately trying to scrub the stuff off or you will definitely scratch the paint.

The same applies to those wonderful bird bombs that hit from time to time.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autopia/inf-tar.html

I tried to order a Bra, but none of the leading companies makes one for our truck.

They said it was to much of an area to cover. I only wanted it for late evening and night driving. Texas has some huge bugs.

I know this is gonna sound weird, but try using WD40 on them.

WD-40 works great, I use it for tar, bugs etc...

I don't know if it removes the wax, I always spread a little after I use it.

WW :cool:

I use Dri Wash.

I get mine from a co-worker. This stuff is great. You use it without water , but I wash my SS without soap first if its real nasty, dry it then redo it with Dri Wash. After about 5 cleanings you will notice that dust and bugs wipe off and finger prints/smudges wont show anymore. A weekly wiping with Dri Wash and it looks like you are a pro. detailer. I use the foam kind in the aresol can. You can look at My Web for my truck pics. and You can check it out at this link for info on Dri Wash

http://www.driwashcity.com/?source=Overture

Archived