Header Wrap

turboed ss

I need to wrap my LT header so that i can quit burning plug wires and keep some of the heat out.

Has anyone had any experince good or bad with header wrap?

Are there any brands i shoud or should not use?

Wear is the best place to get it?

I think I like the black wrap, plese help guys....

depending what kind of material your headers are made of will be a factor as well. if they arent stainless header wrap can accumulate water and cause mild steel headers to rust quicker. also i would look into plug wire boots/covers made from similar material. couldnt tell you the brand or where to get it but i would go with black too or have your headers coated in high temp ceramic coating.

i am in the process of getting my Stainless headers for my turbos coated in high temp black . supposed to be the highest temp rated out of the different coating and im hoping this will alow me not to have to use header wrap .

Have you tried Taylor 409s? I had a similar issue with my MSDs and switching to Taylors cured that.......

havign a turbo will create a lot more heat and back pressure on the exhaust . i know you know that . i just dont see switching to a different brand is going to help if not made of a different material .

havign a turbo will create a lot more heat and back pressure on the exhaust . i know you know that . i just dont see switching to a different brand is going to help if not made of a different material .

The question is, are the wires very close to or touching the primaries? If so, the short plug boot on the Taylors will help keep the wires away from the headers.....or is the header heat in general cooking the wires?

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

well if they are touching your headers then thats pretty obvious thats your problem .

and even with stainless , coating will help. but getting your wires off the header would help even more , look into plug wire covers if you cant keep them off the headers or get something with a bendable boot to move them off the primary.

they r touching the headers... Im running SS dynatech LT... idk if getting them ceramic coated will solve my problem... I need to keep the heat in the exhaust and out from under the hood...

Yes, ceramic coating will help alot with insulating the headers. I have Dynatechs also and had the exact same problem you did, the long plug boot on the MSDs no matter how many times I bent them on an angle would work their way back to straight and contact the primaries. I switched to Taylor 409s which have a much shorter plug boot and it solved my problem......

may i add this. My local hot rod shop has a set of taylor plug wires on the wall with ceramic boots on them i asked him what they were for he said they were made for R/V's that make a lot of heat under the "hood". I then saw this thread and got to doing a little research and found this. I'm sure they dont make a set for a SSS but they can be shortened and new ends put on the coil side for guys that need a good set of high temp wires.

accel-pro-fit-wire-sets-feature-a-ceramic-boot-which-can-withstand-te.jpg