Towing With The Ss?

bluvvv

hey everone, (a little background) im going tomorrow to look at a 2007 silverado SS to buy its a Jimmy Johnson SS (if that makes a difference) I have a 24ft. Travel Trailer which weights about 8000lbs total...I want to know if the SS have the same towing capasity as the regular 1500s with out the 6.0L? and is there a difference in suspension? im completly new at this so any help would be greatly appreciatedI dont want to buy it if i cant put a tow package on it and tow my trailer.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p...;standard=false

post-19957-1267502212_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluvvv (see edit history)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That isn't a real SS just so you are aware......it looks like a Z71 or LTZ with SS badges. Either way, 8000 lbs is probably close to max for towing......you may want to consider a 2500 instead.

welcome to the site :cheers:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

anyone can stitch some fancy writing into the head reasts, throw on a pinstripe with a race car drivers name and stick on a dash plaque...they needed a level because that thing on the glove box isnt even straight. my honest opinion would be get a 2500 if you want to tow alot with it or find a true SS. that truck has FAKE written all over it man.

funny how its the same exact truck...#10 on the dash plaque and same pics... so at least youre not the first to be fooled

Another member has a Jimmy Johnson SS. It looks like they tried the same as the Dale Earnhart's.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...l=jimmy+johnson

i just think if it was a legit project that Hendricks MS put out there would have been some kind of advertising for it somewhere, and its kinda fishy how two members have managed to find the same truck and its the only one...guess it mus be pretty rare being the only one out of the 48 known to man. Buy a real SS and you will be much happier with it and not get scammed out of 23 grand for some cheaply made dash plaque and pinstripe signature

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

That isn't a real SS just so you are aware......it looks like a Z71 or LTZ with SS badges. Either way, 8000 lbs is probably close to max for towing......you may want to consider a 2500 instead.

welcome to the site :cheers:

:withstupid:

pulling the trailer wont be ur problem... stopping it will be... besides depending on how much u will be towing it may wear out the truck sooner...

I would not touch that truck with a 10 foot stick. I think Hendrick MS would have to get permission from Chevrolet to put official SS badges on it if it was the real deal and a special edition truck. Chevrolet stopped building Silverado Super Sport production partly because they though the "SS" badge was being thrown around to much and they wanted it more rare.

If anything, it should have "JJ" instead of "SS" emblems for Jimmie Johnson edition. JMO. I would go with a 2500hd if your trailering. :chevy:

i just think if it was a legit project that Hendricks MS put out there would have been some kind of advertising for it somewhere, and its kinda fishy how two members have managed to find the same truck and its the only one...guess it mus be pretty rare being the only one out of the 48 known to man. Buy a real SS and you will be much happier with it and not get scammed out of 23 grand for some cheaply made dash plaque and pinstripe signature

:withstupid: I think Hendricks would have tricked it up a little more than that. Justs look like the Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet may have just did that to sell trucks in a down economy and IF it was done at a dealer I would imagine that they would have atleast put the decals on correctly. Look in the photos of the SS badges. :shakehead: Just my $.02 Nothing is out there on a special edition truck. :seeya: However for towing isn't the Vortec Max rated at 11,500 lbs. That truck should work just bad badging job and there are cheaper SS's and Vortec Max's out there. I would keep lookin and good luck... :chevy:

I agree with you gents but.....................if it is truly #10 of 48 in a collectors eyes with those low numbers and for that price it is a steal. Does anyone on here know of any serious collectors that could verifiy if this is real or just a badging scam