License Plate Lamps

tim03ss

Well thanks to getting pulled over late Friday night i had to go and replace my license plate lamps on my SS. Both were burned out. Took me a while to figure out how to get them out. Couldn't figure out how to get through that little hole in the frame underneath. Then i finally figured out they're attached to the whole bumper cover which completely comes off. At least i figured it out. :rolleyes:

Well thanks to getting pulled over late Friday night i had to go and replace my license plate lamps on my SS. Both were burned out. Took me a while to figure out how to get them out. Couldn't figure out how to get through that little hole in the frame underneath. Then i finally figured out they're attached to the whole bumper cover which completely comes off. At least i figured it out. :rolleyes:

yea when i got pulled over for having blue leds in those lights i was taking them off and theyre a pain in the ass, i broke one... so now i have a black one that needs painting.

Edited by The_aSSet (see edit history)

yea when i got pulled over for having blue leds in those lights i was taking them off and theyre a pain in the ass, i broke one... so now i have a black one that needs painting.

I lost both of my cover somewhere along the road or something.... where can you buy new ones?

how did you guys get the covers off? i was told to just squeeze the top and bottom but it's hard as hell and i don't want to break anything.. i was also told to try prying them off with a screw driver

Yea I have the same question there. I thought u had to change them from the lil holes in the underside of the bumper which I couldnt get my fingers in there. I was gonna use a pair of rubber tiped pliers so I didnt break anything. So how do those lil covers come off on the outside of the bumper?

Yea I have the same question there. I thought u had to change them from the lil holes in the underside of the bumper which I couldnt get my fingers in there. I was gonna use a pair of rubber tiped pliers so I didnt break anything. So how do those lil covers come off on the outside of the bumper?

i was told to squeeze the top and bottom together by a few other members here. i tried and it was a no go :( . i haven't messed with it for a few days.. but think i'm gonna try the screwdriver next to try and take it off

You have to be EXTREMLY careful when using a flat head, i wrapped the tip in a shop rag and did it like that, the first time it worked great, the second time i rushed and broke it little plastic clip. be patient and be CAREFUL! one slip and ur out 36 bucks

I changed mine yesterday and found them real easy to get off. I thougth u had to pinceh the top and bottom together to get them off but u actually have to pinceh the rfont of the light towards the tailgate and the back of the light to get them to come out. When you pinch them they just pop out with ease.

I had one burned out and forgot to change it before state inspection the other day. Hell, I forgot it was even burned out since it's been months since I last drove the thing. The dealer replaced it and charged me $9.99 labor and .48 cents for the bulb. What A Rip Off! They also replaced my one brake light bulb because they said it didn't light up, which could of been true. It actually does work, you just have to hit the light or fender to get it working. There is a short in the socket I guess. So the dealer charged me $9.99 for labor and $5 for the bulb. So I paid 25 bucks for two f'en light bulbs and the root of the problem with the brake light is still untouched. Oh well.