A Clunk When Leaving From A Stop

billy 2

I have a 2005 Silverado with 39000 miles. When leaving from a stop I hear a clunk coming from the rear ,I think. It seems a little worse when it is colder.I took it to Chevrolet and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, but they did replace the yoke coming out of the transmission.This started about two years ago. Has anybody had this problem and, if so, what was it and what's the fix? I still have one more year of warranty left.

Thanks bill 2 :uhoh:

I have a 2005 Silverado with 39000 miles. When leaving from a stop I hear a clunk coming from the rear ,I think. It seems a little worse when it is colder.I took it to Chevrolet and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, but they did replace the yoke coming out of the transmission.This started about two years ago. Has anybody had this problem and, if so, what was it and what's the fix? I still have one more year of warranty left.

Thanks bill 2 :uhoh:

yah my 06 does this i took it back to chevy and they couldnt find the prob. they just greased the yoke going into the trans. it seemed to work for a lil but its back.i come to realize the dealership is worthless. they said my driveline was caused by bigger tires i have only 285/70R17 it came with 265/70/R17. not a big difference.

Edited by chevy vmax (see edit history)

Wow...I have an '04 and guess what it did the same thing around 40,000-41,000 miles. I have tried the trick of greasing the slip yoke, thought it was a Ujoint (it was fine), rear end trouble (it was fine)...etc list goes on and on. Finally I went back to the stealership and they reflashed my ECM (8x,xxx miles) and it was better not gone. Every once in a while when I turn a corner and get back in the throttle it slams together and makes a VERY loud metallic bang. With all of that said I have heard many complants from other guys and it seems to go away mostly with a custom tune. I have 126,xxx now and nothing has broken yet.

I have read somewhere that it was the transmisson going into N or coast mode to save fuel and the sound we are hearing is everything meshing back together when you get back on the throttle. I would like to see what others have to say on this topic.