Royal Purple Lube

It's time for my truck to have it's scheduled maintenance. I just turned 25K and I want to use royal purple for ALL my fuilds, I.E., trans, rear diff. etc. But is it really worth the extra cash? Or is it expensive? I know that its a very good product, and I've never used it before. Can I get it at my local Auto Zone or maybe Walmart? I'm just looking for some good advise.

Terry

I used it in my vette trans for a while and did not have any problems with it and it did seem to shift more quietly. It is higher priced, I just was at the local AutoZone here getting gear oil and it was at least 5 bucks more than the Mobil1 I went with. I did not look at Wal-Mart...try not to go there to often.

I get my M1 engine oil at walmart or BJs, WalMarts use to carry RP but stopped because knowone would buy it, the shelf would be full of RP and barely any M1. Then again people at walmart are their for a bargain, not quality.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

Thanks guys. I do buy my M1 at wally, but now they don't sell the M1 filter anymore for some reason. I'll look for royal purple there too.

How about the tranny filter and the fuel filter, is there a special one to buy or just a normal one?

Terry

i changed all my fluids except engine oil to rp. im still running m1 for oil. im happy with the rp, it seems to feel like it makes everything smoother so to speak. im pretty sure after 03 they dont have fuel filters. as for the tranny filter no idea really

I have done alot of research on oil and I personaly have used RP since 2004 (I used Mobil 1 from 99-04). I drive 3,000-4,000 miles a month and have put 145,000 miles on an '02 Silverado & 126,000 miles on my current truck with no problems. I use it in everything except my tranny (I have never changed it) oh and the transfer case it uses the crazy blue crap from GM. I only change my oil every 10,000 miles and think it could go longer. I have thought about oil analysis but it would be cheaper just to change the oil and not worry. Lately I have been thinking of changing to the RP XPR oil since it does not have the API label. Oils with the API label have only a limited amount of Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate (ZDDP) an additive that is used to prevent wear. In the end do your research and do what you feel comfortable with. I def. think it is worth it the best results after I changed the rear diff. it has performed alot better. Hope this helps.

neh not worth it imo powerblock did some dyno testing on the roral purple and gain 7 rwh on the first run.after the first run it started losing power on each pull after that.i would only use royal purple on a full drag car make one run and let the oil cool off before i make another as the oil breaks down as it heats up.stick with m1 terry that's good enough in my opinion :cheers:

Terry, since you have been using Mobil 1, stick with it IMO. If you cannot find the Mobil 1 filter, the AC Delco PF46 and K&N HP-1007 or HP-2006 are all suitable replacements. For trans fluid, I am running Valvoline Dexron VI, but any name brand like Mobil or Pennzoil should be fine. For the trans filter, go with an AC Delco filter and pan gasket right from your dealer. Don't worry about the fuel filter since they are an in-tank sock on '04+ model years. For gear oil, go with Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic, and do not use any additives like Trans-X in the diff. For coolant, any name brand 50/50 Dexcool/water mix should be fine.

running RP in the rear diff and runs smooth, Amsoil in the engine and going to run Amsoil in the tranny. If you going to do RP, I would do there high performance line. Did some recent readings on bobistheoilguy.com and I stopped using the basic RP.

Thanks guys for all the info. it really helped. I don't drive the truck that much, and for being 3 1/2 years old, I think 25K is really good. It's probably still in the break-in stage. It's a tough choice with all the good info. I think with the rear diff, I'll go with the RP, but like Dan and Ivan said, I'll stick with the M1 for now on the motor oil. I did price the RP at Walmart today, and it wasn't to bad. It was only $8.47 per QT. Not to bad.

Thanks guys,

Terry