Magnaflow 22" Vs. Stock

Hey Guys,

I've been looking into doing a muffler swap on my 05 sierra denali. I was looking under the truck and it appears that there is dual 2.5" piping prior top the muffler, and a dingle 3" out. The best part is that it's all mandrel bent... unlike most crappy custom exhaust shops around me. My question is how the Magnaflow dual in single out 22" muffler (PN12588, 5 x 11 x 22) is going to compare to my stock muffler. Is it noticable, or would it not even be worth my time? I'm looking for a little more bark, noticable from the inside of the truck when I want it to be... but no resonance. The stock muffler seems pretty hollow from the factory, and I assumed that this would be one of magnaflow's more tame mufflers. When I talked to the guys at Magnaflow them seemed to think this one would be my best bet for the LQ9, but I dont want to waste my time or money on something I won't really notice. My other options would be the 15288 (5 x 8 x 18) or the 12388 (5 x 8 x 22). I assumed that the narrowed mufflers are also louder. Would I get resonance with the 5 x 8 mufflers?

I would also think that the Magnaflow would out perform the stock muffler as well. It seems to me that the stock system is built really well, the only thing holding it back is the muffler. Would there be any significant benefit (in performance) to replace the whole system with dual in single out cat back rather that just replacing the muffler?

Thanks for the help! :cheers:

Rob

well i just put the 22" case with the built in x pipe and love it , once it wears in abit you can deff. tell a difference, there is alittle in cab resonance but not enough drive anybody nuts, i would deff. recommend the 22" case i love it and wont change it to anything else now. as in performance you will gain a little bit by just throwing a muffler on, there isnt really any gain in redoing everything i would just throw a 22" case on you'll love it. the best way i can explain it is that its nice and deep while crusing around light footed but once you get into it you'll deff tell a difference from stock.

Hey Guys,

I've been looking into doing a muffler swap on my 05 sierra denali. I was looking under the truck and it appears that there is dual 2.5" piping prior top the muffler, and a dingle 3" out. The best part is that it's all mandrel bent... unlike most crappy custom exhaust shops around me. My question is how the Magnaflow dual in single out 22" muffler (PN12588, 5 x 11 x 22) is going to compare to my stock muffler. Is it noticable, or would it not even be worth my time? I'm looking for a little more bark, noticable from the inside of the truck when I want it to be... but no resonance. The stock muffler seems pretty hollow from the factory, and I assumed that this would be one of magnaflow's more tame mufflers. When I talked to the guys at Magnaflow them seemed to think this one would be my best bet for the LQ9, but I dont want to waste my time or money on something I won't really notice. My other options would be the 15288 (5 x 8 x 18) or the 12388 (5 x 8 x 22). I assumed that the narrowed mufflers are also louder. Would I get resonance with the 5 x 8 mufflers?

I would also think that the Magnaflow would out perform the stock muffler as well. It seems to me that the stock system is built really well, the only thing holding it back is the muffler. Would there be any significant benefit (in performance) to replace the whole system with dual in single out cat back rather that just replacing the muffler?

Thanks for the help! :cheers:

Rob

save some money and buy the flowmonster on here

I'm gonna get the muffler and all the clamps I need for just over $100... how much money could I really be saving?

I'll look into the flowmonster though, it sure can't hurt!

Does anyone know the difference between the 5 x 11 mufflers and the 5 x 8 mufflers?

Does anyone know the difference between the 5 x 11 mufflers and the 5 x 8 mufflers?

The smaller the case size, the louder it will be. If you are curious how the 22" 5x8 sounds with headers, check out post #2 in this thread......

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56356

Thanks! Your truck sounds great!

The muffler you used is actually 24" long rather than 22". I wonder how significant the difference in sound output would be. I like what I hear from the videos. Do you notice any resonance on the highway? I wonder if it would be any worse with the CC denali?

Also, is there a significant difference between the pipes on the GMPP catback vs. the stock cat back, or was it primarily the muffler?

How easy was the muffler replacement? Are the dual inlet pipes spaced similarly to the muffler? Thats my only concern with this swap right now... if at all possible i would like to avoid a visit to an exhaust shop.