Boost Activated Warning Light

chpspecial

My autometer boost gauge has lately started to whack out on me. When it boots up it doesn't reset to zero, therefore I hava a gauege and never know what the actual reading is. It works properly but the reading are off, and its never by a consistant amount. It also has a boost warning light that is user programable, which I like. This gave me an idea for when the gauge is not working properlly. Unfortunatly, the boost warning light does not activate one of the rear pins of the gauge, so you can not just add a light to the back of the gauge. So I busted out with some LED and used a couple of HOBBS switches to turn on two sets of LED's. the first, middle set are yellow to warn me when I hit my desired low boost setting. The second set, outer are red for when I hit my high boost setting. Keep in mind that I have a turbo and to switch between the two boost levels I just hit a switch.

And here are the Results...

1. In this vid you see the yellow light turned on followed by the reds. I used a bicycle pump so that it would be a more reliable source of boost, plus it was easier to film.

2. In this one you see it go from red to yellow as boost is lost.

3. And here is the reason I used the bicycle pump in the other two, this is an action shot, and boost fluttered at around 10psi and is why the lights are not as bright.

BTW the video doesn't do it much justice as it is much brighter and sharp in real time,

damn ur are one start ass vato Rey!!! i'm envious of ur enginuity, looks like it works flawlessly...most compliment ur boost activated cut-outs well...

ur gonna have to hook me up with both setup's when(no time soon) i get my turbo!!!

-Rob

damn ur are one start ass vato Rey!!! i'm envious of ur enginuity, looks like it works flawlessly...most compliment ur boost activated cut-outs well...

ur gonna have to hook me up with both setup's when(no time soon) i get my turbo!!!

-Rob

No problem :cheers:

-Rob

X2 badass setup. i wish i had some boost so i could do that setup as well lol :P

Now that it has been on there for a day+ here is and update. do to the nature of HOBB's switches, and their precise springs. the light does not light up instantaniously, it actually lights up softly, so that you know that when you are at full boost you get maximum brightness. but it has a rampup effect. an unexpected benefit. which makes it even nicer. Much like a progresive nitrous kit... :smoker:

Now that it has been on there for a day+ here is and update. do to the nature of HOBB's switches, and their precise springs. the light does not light up instantaniously, it actually lights up softly, so that you know that when you are at full boost you get maximum brightness. but it has a rampup effect. an unexpected benefit. which makes it even nicer. Much like a progresive nitrous kit... :smoker:

now thats f*cking awesome!!!

so the output on the L.E.D. increases as boost and RPM's do.?. have u done a full throttle run??? when the tranny shifts do they die down some due to some boost loss??? how bright is the cab at night Rey???

-Rob

now thats f*cking awesome!!!

so the output on the L.E.D. increases as boost and RPM's do.?. have u done a full throttle run??? when the tranny shifts do they die down some due to some boost loss??? how bright is the cab at night Rey???

-Rob

No, when i hit my low boost level, boost fluctuates by less than .5psi which is enough for the spring on the HOBBS switch to flutter, causing modulation effect and its fast enough that it gradually powers up the light, the LED react fast enough to give it a dimming effect. At full boost, they stay fully lit.

Yes and that is how I found it out. When I hit the switch for high boost, the middle yellows stay fully lit, and the reds flutter then fully light up once I hit the boost level/pass it.

I don't loose boost at shift points, I actually get a minor boost spike. but if I did loose boost and it was more than .5psi it would go off. >.5 it would flutter/dim

Nice and bright but not abnoxious. it doesn't blind either. and during the day its bright enough to catch your attention. the video doesn't show it because of the angle of the camera

No, when i hit my low boost level, boost fluctuates by less than .5psi which is enough for the spring on the HOBBS switch to flutter, causing modulation effect and its fast enough that it gradually powers up the light, the LED react fast enough to give it a dimming effect. At full boost, they stay fully lit.

Yes and that is how I found it out. When I hit the switch for high boost, the middle yellows stay fully lit, and the reds flutter then fully light up once I hit the boost level/pass it.

I don't loose boost at shift points, I actually get a minor boost spike. but if I did loose boost and it was more than .5psi it would go off. >.5 it would flutter/dim

Nice and bright but not abnoxious. it doesn't blind either. and during the day its bright enough to catch your attention. the video doesn't show it because of the angle of the camera

ah, i see...

forgot about the low and high boost switch... awesome sir seems like a pretty dope little upgrade u created, good stuff sir... this could become a "sell-able" upgrade for the turbo guys...

-Rob

Edited by BlkSSnCpt (see edit history)

looks kind of ricey IMO!!!!!!! VTEC

hahahahaha just kiding looks bad ass man :cheers: .where did you get the leds from???

That right, I now have a two stage VTEC, when the first stage POPS the LED go yellow and red for the second stage... way ahead of any ricer with only one stage.

Since I was experimenting I got these at an electronic warehouse in riverside.