Opinions Please! Good Brake Set Up For My Truck...

maxchevy

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my front brakes to perfrom better while towing(main purpose) and driving in general. I do not want to go to a larger rotor, I was thinking of ebc rotors with yellowstuff pads(for now I am not concerned with the brake dust) and braided cables. I did not find too many topics related to ebc brakes; sorry if this has been covered already.

My questions

1) Do you know what size rotor I have on my truck(06 1500 vmax; front disc/rear drum) On summitracing they have a thirteen and a twelve inch rotor, I am not sure what mine is without taking off my wheel.

2) Can you recomend any other set up that will provide great stopping power while towing (on a budget)

Thank you

Your front rotors are a 13" rotor. I am re-doing my front brakes, and am switching from Power Slot to EBC. In fact, the parts literally just came in 20 minutes ago. I went with EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and Greenstuff 7000 pads. Hopefully I will have them installed by the weekend. Let me know if you want the part numbers.....

I had warped rotors in front and just a couple weeks ago changed over to EBC slotted and dimpled "sport" rotors and ceramic pads. Only drove back and forth to work so far but feel is good, stops great with no vibration or sound. No dust to report which I hate and may be a tad better feel. Had 50k miles on truck and stock pads still had better than half left, just added new pads with the new rotors. For the money they seem to be a good choice.

I have a 2006 Vmax as well. What part number did you go with and how much if you dont mind me asking? My truck pulsates alot when braking hard. Do the rear drum brakes probably need changing as well?

How many miles on your truck? Are the rear brakes original? The pulse is from your front rotors being warped. I'll post up the EBC part numbers tonight. :cheers:

Thanks...yah the rears are original. The fronts have been shaved one time. The truck has approx. 63000 on it. Need to change my trans. fluid to I guess...maybe even the rear diff. as well?

Oh yeah, definitely time for a diff service, as well as coolant and the trans. If you got 63000 out of the original rear shoes, you got your money's worth. At 52k, my truck is on her 3rd set of rear shoes(burnouts at the track don't really render great shoe life LOL). :uhoh:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Well Damn haha...there goes some money. Is it hard to make my rear drum brakes / disc brakes?

It can be quite expensive....

Summit Racing part numbers.....

EBC 7000 Series Greenstuff pads EBC-DP71742

EBC Slotted/Dimpled Sport Rotors EBC-GD7372

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Fireman31, Can you give us a report on this brake combo now that its been installed for awhile? Thanks

i was looking at SSBC for a rear disc conversion. its about 1200.

Hey Fireman31, Can you give us a report on this brake combo now that its been installed for awhile? Thanks

So far so good, with the limited amount of driving I have done, I can certainly say these are probably the best set of aftermarket pads/rotors I have had yet. The Hawk pads I had previous are junk compared to these EBC pads.....