What Options Do I Have?

ZQ8SON

Ok, here is goes, I have an '04 Silverado that I have decided to build an CC Z71 VHO. The LQ9 is being put in now with a cam, 160 stat etc.. and time is near to do the tune. The guy doing it suggested that I come by that day since I told him that I want a seperate tune on the tow/haul button. He also said that I should make some notes on other things I would like. I have no idea what my options are, could you guys give me some ideas?

You should be able to pick from a variety of setting tweaks... Everything from hard hard it shifts, how much torque management is applied when shifting, what octane fuel will perform the best, to what the new governed speed limit is going to be. What are you planning on doing with your new tow/haul setting?

You should be able to pick from a variety of setting tweaks... Everything from hard hard it shifts, how much torque management is applied when shifting, what octane fuel will perform the best, to what the new governed speed limit is going to be. What are you planning on doing with your new tow/haul setting?

I know the normal items but what I dont know is how much torque management is ok for everyday driving?? 50% decrease firmmer shifts then 75% decrease in the tow/haul botton and even firmmer shifts? It is 4x4 and I run E-load tires so most of them are rated at no more than 100mph so I'm not really interested in the top speed but I guess I should remove it anyway while I'm there.

Also I plan on tuning it with 93 octane with 10% ethanol, and normal running 93 octane without.(Still looking for a place close to buy it without it added) or does this all really matter... :confused:

When I got my custom tune through Black Bear Performance, I had a form to fill out asking exactly how I wanted everything to be set. I had him tune it to where the truck shifted harder, and now it really pulls away every time it shifts, like it's got so much power it just doesn't know what to do with it. I tuned it for 91 octane, since at the time I was living in Kansas and 93 was very hard to find. Now I still fill up with 93 every time, and she loves it. I had to ask Justin @ BBP and a few others what their thoughts were on reducing the torque management, and I think I ended up reducing it 75%, and 100% under the tow/haul setting (Which I have yet to use, I'm kind of scared lol). Of course, I'm only seeing an average of about 12 MPG city, 14 HWY, so you be the judge as to how efficient of a DD I've made, lol.

When I got my custom tune through Black Bear Performance, I had a form to fill out asking exactly how I wanted everything to be set. I had him tune it to where the truck shifted harder, and now it really pulls away every time it shifts, like it's got so much power it just doesn't know what to do with it. I tuned it for 91 octane, since at the time I was living in Kansas and 93 was very hard to find. Now I still fill up with 93 every time, and she loves it. I had to ask Justin @ BBP and a few others what their thoughts were on reducing the torque management, and I think I ended up reducing it 75%, and 100% under the tow/haul setting (Which I have yet to use, I'm kind of scared lol). Of course, I'm only seeing an average of about 12 MPG city, 14 HWY, so you be the judge as to how efficient of a DD I've made, lol.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I'm on the right track as to what I want. As for the MPG's I'm hope for a little better since I have a CC and it came with 3.42 gearing. I guess we will see :dunno::driving:

FYI the tow/haul button does not give you a seperate tune, It only alters the shift timing, shift speed, shift rpm, firmness and TM as well as a few other tables not related to engine performance but trans settings.. So don't be fool to think that you are getting a different tune.

FYI the tow/haul button does not give you a seperate tune, It only alters the shift timing, shift speed, shift rpm, firmness and TM as well as a few other tables not related to engine performance but trans settings.. So don't be fool to think that you are getting a different tune.

LOL, I agree. I've had many tell me that they had their truck tuned and when they go to the tow/haul mode it's way stronger. Other than the trans settings there is pretty much no changes and even that isn't needed. Why would you have a different shift point when you race than on the street? We aren't talking about an 8000 rpm machine here. The correct shift points and settings should be in there all the time.