Brakes Suck... Any Ideas?

Jeff B

I have had my 2004 AWD SS for 3 years now and have never been happy with the brakes.

My major complaints are:

- Can't lock the brakes.

- I hear a SHHH sound and get a squishy feel as I press the pedal with the engine running. I assume this is the booster doing something. I get a very firm pedal that doesn't move with the engine off, so I don't think there are any leaks. I also looked all around the calipers and lines and saw no leaks. Level is good in the master.

- If I'm stopped at a light, I can push the pedal down far enough to where it feels like I hit a mechanical stop.

- Can't do a brake stand. From a stop, with the pedal to the floor and foot on the gas, the car slowly rolls forward.

Last year I installed braided lines and Hawk pads all around thinking that would help. It did help some, but I still have the same symptoms, I just get a bit more bite when I first step on the brakes.

Look under the hood do you have the vauccum assist canaster next to the master cylnder it's about 9 inches long 2 inches around has an electrical connection to it? That could be some of the issue I know those had issues in the past. As for locking the brakes I am not entirely sure what you are reffering to. The truck's don't have conventional brakes they have ABS so you will not be able to lock them up as you would with an old car that does not have ABS I hope that's not what you mean though.

Look under the hood do you have the vauccum assist canaster next to the master cylnder it's about 9 inches long 2 inches around has an electrical connection to it? That could be some of the issue I know those had issues in the past. As for locking the brakes I am not entirely sure what you are reffering to. The truck's don't have conventional brakes they have ABS so you will not be able to lock them up as you would with an old car that does not have ABS I hope that's not what you mean though.

Are you talking about the brake booster between the master and the firewall? Or is there a separate canister nearby?

No I didn't mean lock up all fours. But in my other cars you can feel when the ABS kicks in and there is usually a shudder to the pedal as the brake controller modulates line pressure. I'm just not getting that with this truck. In a hard stop I just get a soft pedal and the truck eventually stops. I would think I would be able to feel the inception of lockup.

I'll look under the hood tonight and see what is there.

It might just be as simple as your rotor and pad combo. I know that after OE rotors are cut once, they have a tendency to warp and glaze easily. Also, I have Hawk pads on my truck right now and am not impressed at all, probably the worst set of pads I have had on the truck so far, and I have tried a few brands....

I do have the canister. Any idea what it does or if I can tell if it is bad?

I do have the canister. Any idea what it does or if I can tell if it is bad?

If I remember right that thing is an emergency vaccum pump basically if your engine dies it's supposed to assist to keep your power brakes once the engine dies. I was told it's cause the trucks are so damn heavy. I would check all and any vac connections going to that.. if you have a minor leak there that might be some of the problem I know they did away with that deal on the newer trucks but after 05 when the ss was avail 2wd they also have larger front brakes and drums out back. I wouldn't jump on the hydroboost thing right away I would see if you could figure something out first as far as a leak that sound you describe sounds to me like a diaphragm going bad or a leak