Porting The Stock Heads

i have a 2004 silverado ss with cai, catback, and a tune. Headers and shift kit coming this summer. I was looking into to port and polishing the stock 317 heads and a cam. Question is what all would i need to finish this project, and me not being much of a wrencher was wandering on labor costs. Dont really have the money to buy new heads, and i wouldnt know what the machinist to do with the the 317's. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WCCH=west cost cylnder head they have some info about heads and porting.

I would also consider milling the heads to bump your compression ratio. Any time you are gonna pull parts off you should think about your entire project.

Cam swap at this time would make since and would allow you to match the head and cam.

Converter/trans mods to support the cam.

Labor for a head swap is not gonna be cheap...there is a certain amount of down time unless you find a great worker and have ALL the parts on hand. For instance when I was puttin gmy truck back together I went to buy the cam...little did I know they had them ground to order so I had to wait three more weeks to finish the swap.

A p&p is usually around 700-800 bones depending who does them. Milling them down would be a good idea and that's usually less than 100 bucks. You would probably need pushrods, injectors, depending on what you go with. You would also need tuning for everything. Just make sure you have all your supporting mods for whatever it is you plan on doing

isdf

WCCH=west cost cylnder head they have some info about heads and porting.

I would also consider milling the heads to bump your compression ratio. Any time you are gonna pull parts off you should think about your entire project.

Cam swap at this time would make since and would allow you to match the head and cam.

Converter/trans mods to support the cam.

Labor for a head swap is not gonna be cheap...there is a certain amount of down time unless you find a great worker and have ALL the parts on hand. For instance when I was puttin gmy truck back together I went to buy the cam...little did I know they had them ground to order so I had to wait three more weeks to finish the swap.

I just talked to my friend who has a 2002 camaro ss and he said that he has the stock heads of a lq9 on his turbo set up and said the 317s flow well from the factory. what benifet will i get from porting the heads. what i just did a cam. is a converter a must with a cam i dont want to launch at 2600 at every stop light.

p.s. i have the corsa sport and want the obx headers do you have a sound clip

thanks

port and polish to a set of heads allows for easier and slightly more flow over stock. you would need a converter for a cam swap. 3200-3600 isn't too bad of a stall to drive around with daily. and depending on the cam you would need spring and pushrods too.