55 Mph Shimy

catdaddy300

when i get up to 55 my steering wheel starts to shake. now i know that it is a tell tell sign that my sterring is going bad. (hell last time i changed my oil i saw one of the grease boots was broken). just wanted to know where i should start? It doesnt shake when i slow down so i know it isnt the rotors, before someone says it

I have actually been chasing this gremlin for a while with my truck. Tried tires. It actually does it at exsactly 55 mph to 59 then it disappears. It does it upon acceleration and decel but only in that 4 mph band.

I have my 22's on now I had the same issue with the 20's and being it was a heavier wheel it also seemed more pronounced. I have rotated and balanced my heart out and found nothing as well as nothing feels loose up front and the tires that are on there now are fairly new.. if you find some weird gremlin please post it up

see i am going to try the rotate and balance but i know one of the boots on one of my steering linkages is broke and i know that once that happens its going to break sooner or later but hope it will be a good for a while

• 3 weeks later...

I just searched for this and when I saw shimmy at 55mph I said, EXACTLY. My truck is doing this too. Thought it was the old tires, which were bad, so I put on brand new rims and tires and it still does it! I'm thinking the idler is probably shot, but it's interesting it does it at certain speeds. Mine does it right at 55-60 too, and because of that I thought it was an out of balance tire for sure. But they're brand new and just balanced! it smoothes out at 70. So I'm going to look into some parts, but man it's annoying.

Actually, if anyone reads this and knows, what is your preferred method for testing steering parts, especially an idler arm. My method is to take a pry bar and rest it on a jack stand as a pivot and then press upward on the ball joints, or linkage parts. If the play is more than 1/16th" then I can tell that it's worn. Anyone else?

-m

Edited by yembo77 (see edit history)

I just searched for this and when I saw shimmy at 55mph I said, EXACTLY. My truck is doing this too. Thought it was the old tires, which were bad, so I put on brand new rims and tires and it still does it! I'm thinking the idler is probably shot, but it's interesting it does it at certain speeds. Mine does it right at 55-60 too, and because of that I thought it was an out of balance tire for sure. But they're brand new and just balanced! it smoothes out at 70. So I'm going to look into some parts, but man it's annoying.

Actually, if anyone reads this and knows, what is your preferred method for testing steering parts, especially an idler arm. My method is to take a pry bar and rest it on a jack stand as a pivot and then press upward on the ball joints, or linkage parts. If the play is more than 1/16th" then I can tell that it's worn. Anyone else?

-m

my SSS does the same thing. someone please help