Ls6 Vs. L92 Heads

Hey guys I was talking to a local guy who has a beefed up SS who is also on here. He has a 3200 stall w/4l80 and a set of L92 heads and a cam setup. He told me that getting a set of L92 heads and doin a similar setup he has would be good but Ive also been lookng into a set of LS6 heads. Now what would be the difference in these 2 far as compression, gains, flow and such? I know there is modifcation to be made to the fuel rail and a few other things for the L92's so would it be the same for the LS6 heads? I just need good info on which is better and such. Im not sure what cam I will end up runing but I know it will be a good NA cam for now and will bro do a 2800 or 3k stall at some point. I did a lil searching on hee and came up with some info but I was wanting to see what you guys say. I dont know a lot about heads so please be gentle, lol

thanx guys, Chris

I can only speak for L92's I am running.

Pro's:

gm part

affordable

good flow

great flow above .600 but more difficult to set up with PTV clearance when running stock LQ9 flat top pistons.

COn's

Must upgrade intake

Must upgrade Throttle body

Xlink for TB

Cam and stall will make the set up complete.

I would make sure you up the compression ratio if you are gonna stay NA

There is a very minor gain in compression with the L92's, but a big gain in airflow. The LS6 heads flow the same as the heads already on the LQ9, but offer a .9 or so gain in compression. The L92's will make more hp by far, but with more cost. The LS6 heads will make more torque and are a direct bolt on. It's all in what you want to spend.

Well the LS6 heads would be more cheaper for me but Ive found a set of each of them on Ebay for around 500 bucks with the buy now option. I know there will be more cost weith the L92 heads by changing the fuel rails, tb, and intake. However the cost will be worth it in the end. I was thinking about P&P the LS6 heads if I got them though. What thickness of head gaskets should be used and what kind of valvetrain parts should I look into?

another option is mill your 317s .030 which would be around 100 -150 bucks and would net you the same compression as 243s on that motor

So would that net in the same tq and hp rating as getting LS6 heads?

From what we've I've seen out of 317's it's going to take a .040 or more mill to get the 317's down to a 64.5cc. That's alot to cut from a head when you can just bolt the 243's on and get that compression un-milled.

So would that net in the same tq and hp rating as getting LS6 heads?

the heads flow the same. the only gain you get from the 243 heads is bump in compression and the power the follows. general rule is for every .5 in cr you raise or lower yoru hp by 15-20

so you can pay the 500 for the 243 heads or have yours milled. now if i was going to go thru effort of this i would find a set of ported 243 heads to make this worth while

livernois sells a good set of 243s with good flow numbers for a decent price

the price of heads 500 + head gaskets+ head bolts + fluids just to gain say 20 hp isnt worth it IMHO. if you found a set of used ported 243s for 800 then it be worth it

I can get a set of heads P&P for around 150 bucks through a local builder here. So I can get the LS6 heads and then P&P for about 700 bucks. Im not gonna do all of this at one time. Im just gonna get things piece by piece for a top end build as well as get a stal and 4L80 trans. This will take me time to do as well as money. Then after that Ill concern myself with the bottom end of the engine.

Edited by firehawknwv (see edit history)

Keep in mind the combustion chamber of the LS6 heads (243 or 799 casting #) is superior to the 317's due to the dual quench area as well. For a daily driven LQ9, I wouldn't want to go any higher in compression than what the LS6 heads would give you anyway.

I just sold my old 317's to a guy who was gonna run a 243 CnC program on them...allowing him to lower his compression.

SEARCH...I got my heads cheap, about 1/2 what you are looking to spend. there are alot of deals, you just have to look. I saw some WCCH heads on PT.net

I would stick with OE head gaskets.