Hemis

bigreds10

I just do not understand why people blame gearing for lack of topend when gears are far from whats holding you back. When I switched from 3.73's to 4.10's I gained 2 MPH more in the 1/4 mile so that means I gained more top speed MPH.

:ninja:

I just do not understand why people blame gearing for lack of topend when gears are far from whats holding you back. When I switched from 3.73's to 4.10's I gained 2 MPH more in the 1/4 mile so that means I gained more top speed MPH.

if you could run your truck on a dyno with no load on the rollers untill you reached maximum rpm in 4th gear your mph would be faster with lower gears. However as the real world has wind drag and the weight of the truck to worry about i would bet the higher gears like 4:10s would over come more of those forces and give you a higher mph. On the track i'd bet the gears kept you where your cam makes power and she pulled harder so thats why the mph went up. or at least thats my theory

if you could run your truck on a dyno with no load on the rollers untill you reached maximum rpm in 4th gear your mph would be faster with lower gears. However as the real world has wind drag and the weight of the truck to worry about i would bet the higher gears like 4:10s would over come more of those forces and give you a higher mph. On the track i'd bet the gears kept you where your cam makes power and she pulled harder so thats why the mph went up. or at least thats my theory

FWIW- In terms of gears the term "lower gears" (deep gears) refers to numerically higher gears (3.73, 4.10) were as "high gears" (highway gears) refers to numerically lower gears (3.23, 3.42 etc)

Also lower gears will lower your OVERAL top speed in the same given gear. The reason people gain MPH from lower gears is due to the added RPM through the traps. So more RPM or closer to your max RPM HP = more MPH

yah i dont have the SS :( wish i did. i have the vortecMAX. mine tops out at 98mph. for now it does when i get a actual PCM tune its getting removed. but im waiting to get a intake, and headers before i get one.

i see u live by me....me and another member use a tuner in ur neighborhood and i have nothin bad to say about him, and free re-tunes.....i was stock on my first initial tune, let me know when ur in the market for a tune u wont have to wait till u do ur mods,he specializes in gm trucks and a live tune is much better than anything else, imo

FWIW- In terms of gears the term "lower gears" (deep gears) refers to numerically higher gears (3.73, 4.10) were as "high gears" (highway gears) refers to numerically lower gears (3.23, 3.42 etc)

Also lower gears will lower your OVERAL top speed in the same given gear. The reason people gain MPH from lower gears is due to the added RPM through the traps. So more RPM or closer to your max RPM HP = more MPH

yeah i always say lower gears and forget lower is the 4.10's and 4.88's. but yeah, thats what i said, or at least thats what i thought i said.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

:confused: WTF!

Top speed and 1/4 mile speed are different subjects. Top speed is the absolute fastest you can go on a highway (in a safe, controlled, experimental way of course :D ). 1/4 mile speed is how fast you are going at the end of 1/4 mile. Everything is a comprimise. Faster 1/4 = slower overall top speed on highway. Faster highway top speed = slower 1/4 when it comes to gearing.

Besides in the 1/4 its ET not MPH :cheers:

:confused: WTF!

Top speed and 1/4 mile speed are different subjects. Top speed is the absolute fastest you can go on a highway (in a safe, controlled, experimental way of course :D ). 1/4 mile speed is how fast you are going at the end of 1/4 mile. Everything is a comprimise. Faster 1/4 = slower overall top speed on highway. Faster highway top speed = slower 1/4 when it comes to gearing.

Besides in the 1/4 its ET not MPH :cheers:

Yes I understand that thats why I also posted this too... :cheers:

"Also lower gears will lower your OVERAL top speed in the same given gear."

MPH in the 1/4 = HP/TQ

ET in the 1/4 = Performance

I can still hit 120+ with my new 4.10 gears and also get to that speed much faster than my 3.73 did :jester:

Also the way I see it is how often do you actually top out your vehicle? Who cares about top speed when you still loose a race given you have the higher "top speed" :D

Edited by WICKEDOWESIX (see edit history)